Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Spot and Stalk Turkeys?  Is it ethical? >

Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Old 01-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Looks like there are plenty of other people that do it too. And I thought I was one of the few.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i actually have found it to be the easiest way for me.
Most people do. If you noticed it's kind of the theme here. There are a lot of people that can kill them stalking that can't kill them calling. That's why I don't rate the challenges equally and that's why I don't find stalking to be nearly as rewarding. To me turkey hunting is all about matching wits with the bird and getting him to do want he doesn't naturally do or even figuring out where he is going to be and then killing him.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I killed two turkeys spot and stalk with a bow!!!

Old 01-12-2005, 04:27 PM

silent you mentioned THE most important part of turkey hunting. Knowing where they want to go and getting there first. Calling a bird into a place he is already headed for is as easy as it can be. Thats part of learning and comes with experience. Calling "behind em" is a complete waste of time for the most part and MORE than a poor way to spend precious time and limited days afield.

IMHO getting in front of a bird and calling them where they were already headed is no harder or special than stalking them. You basically are ambushing them, you are just calling at them to hear them and convince yourself you "called em in". Sitting for hours in one spot knowing the bird will be back later in the morning when he is done with his hens, IMHO is boring as hell and really not maximizing ones time and odds afield. But thats the beauty of it, theres something for everyone.

Good luck to EVERYONE,
RA
Old 01-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

No I won't. Well at least not after last year. Having taken other people hunting last year I waited till the last weekend of the spring gobbler until I took my gun. Saturday morning I blew an oppurtunity at a a couple toms and I started my way back to the truck. As i approached this meadow clearcut, I noticed a bird going across the opening so I went to set up on the opposite side and he would walk right to me, No need for me to do any calling, just be patient and watch as he nears. I did notice a 6" beard and as it got 30 yrds I shot once in the head and noticed that it wasn't a big bird but I believe it went 13 #'s. When I got home to clean the bird I reached up in it and thought I was grabbing a gizzard but it was actually a fully developed egg and with a cluster of yolk sacks. I shot a freaken bearded hen.[:'(] That hen would still be alive If I had called like your suppose too. I won't do it any more, but thats just me, Bobby
Old 01-16-2005, 04:45 PM
JW
Super Moderator

To me it is part of hunting. It is ethical -Easier said than done. The thing that isn't mentioned is woodsmanship. This to me is the most important part of any hunting.

Red - really enjoyed your posts!

To the bearded hen - if you called it would have come in anyhow. Bearded hens are in fact legal in most states and to me is a real trophy. You just don't see that many.

JW
Old 01-16-2005, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good post JW!!!Applied woodsmanship coupled with a good understanding of turkey talk will maximize a potential hunters chances afield!Call it what you may but I do not consider myself a stalker rather a hunter!!My goal as silentassins is to call em to the gun barrel thats the high for me!Within that RA is exactly right you have to be in a position thats realistic in bringing a gobbler into a call,therefore it takes some manuevering to get in that position!Obviously knowing your own woods and the terrain therein is an asset!NOW, I will say this though it is your responsibilty as a ethical hunter to know your target and be aware of whats going on around you especially on public ground!!!I have been stalked on more than one occasion,once with a fella pointing a rifle towards my set-up because thats where he" heard the turkey "and it was on private ground!I've also had guys blow birds out of a roost tree and as a result sent bb's flying just over my head!!I agree its all about having fun but lets do it in a safe and fare chase manner that to me is what makes it ethical!!!
Old 01-17-2005, 07:26 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I also have been stalked!

I mean if you can not tell the difference between a Hen call and a Tom's gobble then you really don't belong in the woods or fields! AND I MEAN IT!!

I had 3 people - one adult and 2 kids who stalked my set-up! I heard a hen call and did have decoys out. The echo of the calls where bouncing off the wood edge to my left. Normal place most burds came in. So I just sat there.
But as I took a peak at my decoy spread and looked hard right I see 2 heads pop up ever so silghtly at the fence line. I sat there motionless from my rag blind. What to do? I was not in the line of fire but what to do?

So I hollered at the top of my lungs without moving my body - "Mister put that gun muzzle up in the air!!" The 2 heads froze and looked confused. They still did not know I was there! So I hollered it one more time and stating - "If ya shoot I am shootin' back!!" Man that muzzle went straight up in the air!. It was at that point I moved and got out of my blind. I was hollering at them the whole way to them! I get there and see it is two young people and then here comes the dad who was doing the calling!
Whipped out my cell phone and started calling the sheriff! The dad asked what I was doing and I told them since this was private land they where tresspassing. He told me he had permission and I asked from whom. He mentiioned the name and I said well follow me over to the farmer and we can discuss this! I was mad to say the least. The group just quickly left. I still made the call. And did tell the famrer as I got a plate number off the truck.

Never knew what happened but it was scary to say the least.

Now - one thing I have always done - I NEVER place my decoys directly in front of me or in any position I could be shot! I have always kept them off to my left as I am a right handed shooter. Yes I look for the best place to put my decoys and the best place I won't be shot! If I can't find it I'll look for a new blind/decoy location.

Gotta be safe out there folks.
And a Big rule of Hunter Safety - Know your target and beyond!

JW!
Old 01-17-2005, 08:09 AM

I don't use dekes on Public Ground because there are some idiots out there. I have called birds and stalked birds on private and public land. Both offer me a chance to test my skills albeit each set of skills is a little different. On public ground I usually where running shoes. I listen for the early morning gobbles and the lame locator calls that always seem to accompany them. I try to avoid other hunters and go to the gobblers that are farthest away before I set up. I have called in birds that get plastered by other hunters. Even had one guy come and thank me saying the bird wasn't responding to his calling but seemed fired up by mine. Is it ethical to shoot a bird someone else is working? I don't know and don't really care. I just like knowing I can do a fair job of calling and I can slip up on the birds that won't work. If I had my druthers I'd say I prefer to call the birds in but I'll be the first to admit that I'm going after the bird that won't work to a call. I mean how different is it than changing a bow stand location because you notice that you are 30 yards shy of the tree you need to be in to get an opp on that deer you've been after?
Old 01-18-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

JW the guys that came to the hen call was during the fall season.......be safe all and enjoy the outdoors!

Quick Reply: Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.