Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Spot and Stalk Turkeys?  Is it ethical? >

Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Old 01-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Figure this one out.Here in Pa. it's illegal to stalk a Spring turkey however in the fall it is legal
Old 01-09-2005, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its a safety issue to those who think its unethical!!!Getting into position or repostioning on a gobbler are just other words for stalking in my opinion!Theres always a certain amount of stalking involved in a turkey hunt to get into an effective set-up!!!
Old 01-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

RED , sorry man , for some reason I deleted one of your double posts and both disappeared. Man it was a good one , but I don't understand why this happened,, I'll be making a visit to the Mod form on this one. Sorry I didn't mean for this to happen ...BT
Old 01-09-2005, 05:06 PM

No problem AJH, I didnt even realize I double posted SORRY!

Basically my post said that I cannot see how anyone could call stalking an animal like the turkey with their AMAZING hearing and eyesight anything other than darn good and certainly NOT unethical.

Just because a state says its illegal doesnt mean its unethical. The rules are COMPLETELY about hunter safety because to many idiots want to try and shoot movement. That has NOTHING to do with whether or not someone is good enough to get close to a bird.

I have grown up living a dream which entails having a family cattle ranch in southern MO. So for 20 years I have chased birds in THE greatest place I personally think God ever created for the turkey nut! In that 20 years I have killed far more as a result of stalking than I have calling them up. When the chips are down, the birds are call shy and henned up a mans "gotta do whata mans gotta do". And once you figure out a few key strutting and hang out places that toms like to go too, then you got it licked. They are just like deer, what makes an area attractive to one buck/tom makes it attractive too others year after year after year (assumin nothing major changes in the landscape).

For another "bent" on the stalking we have started hunting them in popup blinds over the last couple of years and they are like NOTHING else Ive seen in turkey hunting. Toms arent like deer in that they dont recognize that "that camo box over there wasnt there yesterday". We routinely hunt with Double Bulls in the wide open without any brush or special precautions. They simply dont bother turkeys. Its REALLY nice when you have new hunters, kids or handicapped hunters who cant remain still or have special camo needs. Heck you dont even have to have camo on period. Shiny guns and bare faces and hands are fine. I even proved a point season before last on the first two days of MO spring season. We killed one bird shortly after daylight as he and 2 of his buddies flew down into a pasture like they had done for years before. But we were out there in the blind waiting for them opening morning. My father in law took his first bird (a 23#er) at less than 30yds. I bet them I could do it again too the remaining birds the very next morning in the very same spot. This time I left my calls and decoys in the truck for extra emphasis. I killed 5 minutes earlier and 10 yds closer than my father in law had the morning before, I guess you could say I was pretty sure about it. LOL

Its all about having fun,
RA
Old 01-10-2005, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thankyou , Boy I was sweeting Bullets there ...BT
Old 01-10-2005, 08:06 AM

If you are truely spotting and stalking them it is extra ethical. A wild turkeys eye sight and hearing is so great. They have the advantage by far. Waiting and ambushing them where they roost is a different story.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:03 PM

Ever since i've started turkey hunting, spot and stalk is the only way we have hunted them on rainy days and during the fall. On a rainy day, you can count on the gobblers being quiet around here and for sure they'll be in the fields. I shot my first bird on a true stalk, i crept to within 25 yards where i rolled the longest beared tom in that bachelor group. When we turkey hunt in the spring, we do alot of run n' gun, which is a form of stalking itself. How you can ban stalking turkeys is beyond me, as run n' gun is another form of this. i think if people go about it in a safe manner and are for sure whats beyond their target, stalking is 100% ethical. Besides, if someone is tresspassing and gets shot, they probably shouldnt have been there in the first place. the tresspasser brings it on themselves if they get shot.

slayer
Old 01-11-2005, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

Run& gun is the name of the game. I have been doing it for years and it has worked.
Gselkhunter
Old 01-11-2005, 06:06 PM

I hunt in deep woods and mountains. Spot and stalk dosent work for me. If I had big fields to spot them in from far away I would do the same thing!!!!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

i think out of say a dozen or so birds, i have only called in three birds. the first was a bearded hen, who really didn't like my calling, and the other two were jakes that i got a double on last spring.( second day of the season, first morning for me, back in my truck just over an hour after i left it. hadn't even cooled off yet, lol.) all the rest, includeing a nice 9.5 inch bird, came to stalking, running and gunning. i actually have found it to be the easiest way for me.
Pat

Quick Reply: Spot and Stalk Turkeys? Is it ethical?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.