Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Sorting the decoy stakes >

Sorting the decoy stakes

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Sorting the decoy stakes

Old 03-05-2002, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sorting the decoy stakes

I always had a time trying to quickly figure out what stake half went with what. Then I got the idea to take a piece of nylon cord and use black duct tape to tape an end of the cord to each half stake piece. Now I don't have to fumble and sort pieces when I'm in a hurry. Simple, but it works.
Old 03-06-2002, 04:07 AM

Default RE: Sorting the decoy stakes

This is something that I have learned over the years. Throw away your stakes that come with the decoy. Go get some old aluminum arrows. Now measure the width of your vest pouch and cut them to length so they can lay in the bottom of your vest pouch. Cut off the fletching end of the arrow, so you can use a field point in the other end for your decoys to rest on. This will be slightly longer than the length of the original stakes. This will also enable you to set the decoy a little higher for better visibility in tall grass or brush. You can just pinch the cut end down, this will be the end that you will stick in the ground. I have found this to be a great way to not have to fight the stakes coming apart, breaking, ect. Plus, the thin diameter of the arrow lets you stick them in the hardest of ground easily, without worrying again about breaking the stake. If you loose one stake, it is no big deal, just get another old arrow. Good Luck!
Old 03-06-2002, 05:26 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-14-2002, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Sorting the decoy stakes

That is a good simple idea.