Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > IBO > Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting
 Michigan Triple Crown - FBH Stakes??? >

Michigan Triple Crown - FBH Stakes???

Official IBO.Net Forum - 3-D Shooting 3-D target shooting, tips, techniques and politics.

Michigan Triple Crown - FBH Stakes???

Old 05-24-2004, 11:09 AM

Default Michigan Triple Crown - FBH Stakes???

First off this is not a complaint, just a question...

So far at the first 2 legs of the Michigan Triple Crown, the future bowhunter class stakes have been missing. The first shoot (being new and not knowing, my fbh shot the white stake which is 25 yard max) at LCSC they were not there and this past weekend at CRGC they were not there. Is there are reason for this? There is not even "fbh" on the stake listing sheet at the sign in desk!!! I understand that there is very few in the fbh class but that shouldn't be a reason... Will the 3rd leg be marked? What about the state shoot, does fbh shoot the full course there and if so I would assume it would be marked right???

Bottom line my question is; why are these courses not marked for the kids???

At CRGC they had us step off 10 paces in front of the white stakes, in theory making a 15 yard max shot... This was fine but does everyone step the same??? ... hmmmmmm

Thanks for any response...

Jeff
Old 05-24-2004, 03:28 PM

Default RE: Michigan Triple Crown - FBH Stakes???

Jeff, At the National Triple Crown events and at some local shoots, the future bowhunters have a range of tens targets that are used only for them. The shoot is usually around 4:00 on Saturday afternoon, and all kids get some awards. I'm not sure of what they are doing in Michigan, but if you have a youngster that wants to go out and shoot his bow and arrows on the course, LET HIM, only make it fun and don't get to far away from the target. Make sure that you are not holding up the group behind you and ENCOURAGE his or hers shooting. The future bowhunters are just that future bowhunters!!!!
Old 05-24-2004, 04:08 PM

Hi Jeff,
Most clubs don't put any stakes out for FBH....They are aload to stand wherever they choose out to 15 yards.
FBH are there to LEARN and have FUN.
What I did for my son was to carry a stake in my pocket and placed it out at each target for my son to shoot from....I set the stake where I knew he would be able to hit the targets without losing arrows.

Hope this helps....
Curtis Locker II
IBO State Rep. / Ohio

================================
(IBO Rules)
FUTURE BOWHUNTERS (FBH) - AGES 8 AND UNDER

Any type of equipment or style described above. Maximum shooting distance of 15 yards (13.72 meters).

Suggested method: Announce a scheduled starting time, all shooters present to begin at one time. Set a separate range of 10 targets for this class only. Range may be an open field with shooting stakes in a straight line and targets at unknown distances up to 15 yards.

It is recommended that this class be non-competitive. All shooters should receive awards .

Awards based upon score will not be made at National or World level events in this class. Awards at national and world levels will be for participation and at random only.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:31 AM

Thanks for your responses... The problem is not getting him on the course and shooting, the problem is not having stakes for the kids... It clearly says that for fbh that there is a 15 yard max and/or that it is recommended that 10 targets be set up, etc... I have no problem with him shooting the 30 targets with me, I wouldn't shoot if he wasn't shooting the 30 with me. I guess I just never realized that with I.B.O. you can place them anywhere from the target out to 15 yards... There are 3 other "orginizations" that we shoot and they ALL mark the full course for the kids (8 and under), I guess we had just expected the I.B.O to do the same...

The ONLY reason we shoot is to have fun and we/he wouldn't be shooting if it was anything less than that...
Old 05-25-2004, 08:02 AM

Jeff_03 - I think the point of the IBO is to get the kids out shooting, like the rule says "non-competitive". I did scan through one other organizations rules and see that 6-8 years is a competitive class . . . I just don't see how a kid that looses all the time is going to stay interested in the sport of archery. We need to make it fun and not stress the winning aspect (yet), that comes soon enough.
Since it is “non-competitive” let him stand where he wants to.
A lot of hard work has been put into organizing the Michigan Triple Crown . . . enjoy it and have fun!
Old 05-25-2004, 09:11 AM

First off we do enjoy it and we do have fun or else we wouldn't continue to shoot... I totally understand the point of it being non-competetive, that does not matter to us anyways as long as we have fun together.

Maybe I was not clear but all I was wanting to know is where the stakes were... I have that answer now, I don't agree with it (I would if we didn't keep score for fbh) but I have an answer...