Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Decoys Allowed In Alabama? >

Decoys Allowed In Alabama?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Decoys Allowed In Alabama?

Old 10-31-2004, 04:22 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Decoys Allowed In Alabama?

According to the latest NWTF magazine Decoys will be allowed stating the Spring of 2005 in Alabama.

Do you agree? If so why or why ot/

How will it change your tactics?

And is this true? Are Mechanical decoys allowed?
Old 10-31-2004, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Decoys Allowed In Alabama?

JW,they've been legal here in California for years and I still rarely ever use them.Just like anything else its a matter of choice to use them or not.Do they work?Heck ya they do,but trust me when I say there are times when they hinder a hunt as well!Confidence in the turkey woods is created by success afield and the gear you carry is brought along to that end!Alabama turkey hunters have been killin birds for years without the aid of a deke and for those that choose not to use them they still will be successful!No question there will be plenty of times they will be an asset to many hunters in BAMA!But with that said just because you have a deke out doesn't garruntee ole longbeard is gonna come a runnin!More emphasis on a good set-up,scouting,calling understanding and strategy and just overall woodsmanship will consistently harvest more birds than relying mainly on the gear we take to the turkey woods.In my own humble opinion the decoy manufacturers will be the biggest gainers out of this!
Old 10-31-2004, 08:45 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Decoys Allowed In Alabama?

Good points Bob.

I use them and then again I don't. There is nothing better than learning tactics and practices to make the hunt successful. Scouting, knowing turkey behavior, knowing when to stay put and then again move to a better location, knowing when to call and when not to, and what call to use either being coy or agressive, all fo which make you a better turkey hutner.

A decoy is just one more tool we can use as a turkey hunter in most states.

JW