Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How do you run off nuisance turkeys ? >

How do you run off nuisance turkeys ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you run off nuisance turkeys ?

Old 07-10-2004, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How do you run off nuisance turkeys ?

One of my neighbors is having difficulty with turkeys coming into his yard and scratching it up at night. He knows that they are turkeys because he has gone out a couple of times at night and run 'em off.

I suspect that they will eventually leave on their own, but untill then, does anyone know how to keep 'em away?

It's not like it's just a bird or two...It's closer to twenty or more.

His yard is about ten acres and on the side of a ridge with plenty of embankments.

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:23 PM

Default RE: How do you run off nuisance turkeys ?

This is a joke right? What time of the night are the turkeys coming to your neighbors yard. Because here in Michigan, and everywhere else I know of. Turkeys will roost at night. So I'm taking this as a joke or something.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

cc, You're right of course. I won't try and get into one of those "clintonesque" debates about what the meaning of is is.
But I should have been a little clearer in my first post.

When the days run from 5:30 in the morning untill 9:30 at night like they do now, I generally consider anytime after supper to be "night"

So, It was just a slip of the tongue so to speak.

But you're correct, they do roost at night here, just like all over the rest of the country.

But anyway, this guy has recently just been overrun with all manner of critters. He has put out a variety of stinking concoctions to keep the deer from eating his flowers, the skunks from digging grubs and the coons out of his trash. The turkey, however are somehow immune to the different stinks that he has put out so far.

In fact, I called him just prior to making this post to get a little further detail, and he mentioned that they occasionally come around in the morning also, but for the most part they're there at night...Well, after six PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:10 PM

Turkeys Cant Smell So "Stink Bait" Wont Help.
A Dog Would Keep Turkeys Away If It Likes To Bark At Moving Stuff lol
Old 07-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are u freaking kiddin me!!!? What is this guy a animal lover? He cant be a hunter at all. If i had turkeys in my yard i would let them stay. Even though a hunter likes to harvest his game, but also enjoys watching his prey and learning. Tell your friend to get real and quit complaining i didnt see a turkey all year last year............and this guy has them in his yard...........ha, bite me sort of speak
Old 07-10-2004, 05:06 PM

Dave;
Ok since this isn't a joke. Then I would have to say that the turkey have a roost tree somewhere close by. If they're there in the mornings, and evenings. The turkeys are going to the tree in the evenings, then leaving the tree in the morning to go out and feed. I'd tell your neighbor to go out and find the tree. He needs to spook them out where they don't come back. My turkeys give me the same problems in my garden, but this year I double fenced it in. I used a regular cyclone fence, With a gate, then put chicken wire in the inside of that. To keep out the smaller critters. I myself, put up with the critters.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that turkeyhunter_15 just shot the magic bullet of an answer.

I did'nt think about it untill just a little bit ago...Sure enough, this guy just had his dog put down a few months ago. It was a big 'ol golden retriever looking thing and it had gotten to old to do much of anything.

In hind sight, I guess that it was 'doing' something after all.

It's amazing that I did'nt put it together untill just now.

coyote caller I know what you mean about the garden fences...Some of the gardens around here are more secure then a state penitentary.

On a side note, I guess it's hard to appreciate how much a pain in the butt deer and turkeys can be untill it's your own yard thats being decimated.

I think turkeyhunter_15 had it right on...A new dog might just be the answer.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have some left-over bottle rockets if your friend would like to use them
Old 07-11-2004, 05:50 PM

Ty Dave
Old 07-17-2004, 03:47 PM

Easy solution......wait until next spring then have a few of us just stop by for a couple of days...................problem solved.

Quick Reply: How do you run off nuisance turkeys ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.