Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 GOBBLERS LOCKED UP WITH HENS >

GOBBLERS LOCKED UP WITH HENS

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

GOBBLERS LOCKED UP WITH HENS

Old 05-01-2008, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default GOBBLERS LOCKED UP WITH HENS

In northwestern NJ, we noticed the gobblers are with there girlfriends they aren't replying to calling. So hopefully come Monday most of them will be out seeking a new bride
Old 05-01-2008, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GOBBLERS LOCKED UP WITH HENS

Good Luck with that, hios harem might have 3-4 hens with it and ussually takes almost 3 weeks to make em all happy.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:26 AM

you may want to try a late afternoon hunt the toms are not as worked up as first thing in the morning or you may want to work on the hens
a friend of mine lives in maine he pretty much said the same thing as you did. But i think you guys are just getting started

in any case its just fun to be out in the turkey woods Good Luck this season

Old 05-01-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

In New Jersey, you have to stop hunting by 12pm
Old 05-01-2008, 06:30 AM

Wow sorry you guys have to hunt under that kind of law some of the best turkey hunting is in the afternoon orthat last hourbefore roost time
i am sure they got a good reason for it april 14th my son an i worked four toms on seven hens an nothing was working they started to leave the field
about 150 yards out of range so i just went for broke an got vary aggressive with calling an we pulled two toms off an it was heart pounding action for 45 min, with hangging up gobbling an strutting right up to us we took to nice long beards. It just goes to show ya you never know what is going to do the trick. Stay at it bro
Old 05-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man...12PM...thats no good. I was gonna say to be very patient because eventually, a few hours after they fly down from the roost, those hens will leave the toms. Thats when you nail em'. But when the 12PM thing comes into play, that kinda makes it tough. I still say be patient and dont overcall.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even yesterday morning just at sun-up, we heard them gobbeling on roost, but once on the ground they didn't make a sound. We did some calling, all was quiet, then I see a nice gobbler with a 7" beard, and big white head walking towards us, he was about 80 yards out when he stopped, looked around, then just as quiet he was when he came in, he left just as quiet, walking normally. I thought when they have a big white head they are horny, and ready to mingle
Old 05-01-2008, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

maybe he was pale haha
Old 05-01-2008, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

When the gobblers are like this I don't rely on calling as much as I rely on good scouting. Since calling them away from their hens is probably not going to happen I need to know where they go during the day. You can bet I'll be somewhere in-between with a hen decoy. When his hens see the decoy they'll usually come over to investigate and will likely want to socialize, bringing you-know-who right with them. That's when I offer a free ride in the back of a pick-up truck to him.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Simp, while watching the hen and this big gobbler in the field, I was thinking the same...If I hada hen decoy it just might of worked.....I'm off from work today, maybe I might go and purchase a hen decoy.......I have the B-mobile, maybe geta She-mobile

That gobbler in the field was at least 25 pounds, he was going to get mounted

Quick Reply: GOBBLERS LOCKED UP WITH HENS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.