Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

spurs.....

Old 05-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default spurs.....

how do you keep your spurs from discoloring?? the one i shot last year i cut above and below the spur and put a piece of leather lace through them and hung them with the beard and fan....and they turned whitish clearish.....i dont want the ones from this year to do that.....anything i can do? or does it just happen to them or what?? anything to make the color come back???? thanx alot......
Old 05-07-2004, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: spurs.....

I can't say I've ever seen that happen. Could you post a pic? I'm a little hesitant to mention anything that might help without knowing what your dealing with.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:13 PM

Hmmmm?
Did you remove the skin and remove the marrow with a pipe cleaner?

I put mine in Borax for a few days also, then lightly sand the edges of the bone with fine grit sandpaper. I've never had the spur itself bleach out.
Old 05-07-2004, 01:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

tomc......i did exzactly that.....the borax and all......its like....it dried out and now has a clear coat or something that is now clearish white over the black or something...i can see the real color is some areas....it just looks like they dried out or something??? i cant post a pic now......maybe when my film is about used up i can take a pic and scan them with my turkey i got this year....anyone know???