Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

spurs again.....

Old 05-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default spurs again.....

another spur question....dont wanna steal the other post.....but how do you PROPERLY take care of spurs?? i cut them above and bellow and string onto leather..but 2yrs ago my biggest spurs FELL APART!!! i cut them off after the legs dried a week or so...went to skin them and the spur caps came with them and it all pretty much crumbled....it was a mess and unsaveable..my one set that i got to work kinda turned white..like they dried out..still mostly black but they kinda dried out it looks like.....what should i do to clean them and preserve them?? cut and clean them right away?? how can i keep the color?? any help? thanx
Old 05-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: spurs again.....

After cutting off both legs, I let them dry for 3-4 months till they get "rock hard"!!! At that time, I cut off both spurs while using a band saw, that will give you the best cut and you can get pretty close to the spur on each side as well. I then use a Q-tip and clean out the bone marrow, then thread them thru a string oras most already know, I make spur displays, in which I then place them into one of those.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

you leave your skin on the legs maytom?? i took mine off and thats when they fell apart...but i could sworn i seen that done on here by members...my one set turned out fine..it was 3yrs ago i dont remember what i did with them though......i glue my beards into the shotgun shell brass that killed them..put an eye through the primer....and sting it on leather lace with a spur on each side.....wish i didnt ruin the spurs from 2yrs ago....im trying not to make that mistake again...you let your whole legs dry out for 3-4 months with the skin on correct?
Old 05-10-2006, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mauser06

you leave your skin on the legs maytom?? i took mine off and thats when they fell apart...but i could sworn i seen that done on here by members...my one set turned out fine..it was 3yrs ago i dont remember what i did with them though......i glue my beards into the shotgun shell brass that killed them..put an eye through the primer....and sting it on leather lace with a spur on each side.....wish i didnt ruin the spurs from 2yrs ago....im trying not to make that mistake again...you let your whole legs dry out for 3-4 months with the skin on correct?
Mauser06, yes, I leave the skin on the legs. I just let them dry naturally for about 3-4 months. They get rock hard by then and the spurs are much easier to cut offat that time. I never had a single problem with the skin comming off the legs, or the spurs falling off? I like the look with the skin on, some don't. To each is own though, just boils down to personal preference I guess.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx maytom.....maybe ill start leaving the skin on..