Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Last day gobbler

Old 05-03-2004, 11:55 AM

Default Last day gobbler

In MN we have a 5 day season. Most of the 5 days was trying to get my kids on bird so I knew it would come down to the wire. Had a chance to shoot 5 jakes on the first day but pasted. The next 3 days were very tough but the kids had chances. Things just didn't work out for them. Today they had to be back in school so I was on my own. Here's had the morning went.

Walked into one of my spots of public land that we hadn't hunted yet this year. There wasn't much for sign there the past few weeks but there alway seems to be a few birds here.
I got there a little later than I would have liked as the sky was lightening up. So I scanned each of the likely roosting trees on the way in as the birds like to roost in the stretch we have to walk through on the way to our spots. I get to the first spot that I have setup in the past and see a tom in a tree about 60 yards in front of me. I froze and decide what I should do. I'm on the edge of a ridge so backing up wasn't much of an option. I decide to setup on the tree I'm standing next to. I don't like to setup this close but that's the way it worked out. It's an oak ridge so doing it quietly was impossible with it being so dry and no wind to cover up anything. But this just seemed to fire him up with the leaf crunching. I managed to get setup without him seeing me and he continues to gobble with another one now joining in about 75 yards in front of me and to my left. I let things settle down a bit and do a couple of soft tree yelps. He doesn't gobble but looks in my direction and struts on the limb. The other bird gobbles though and he sounds off. After another 5 minutes I do another tree yelp with some clucks and purrs tossed in. Then I simulate the wing beat of a hen flying down and crunch some leafs. This pushes them over the edge. Lots of gobbling and strutting on the linb. I do some leaf scratching and get gobbling from both birds. I set down the call and shut up.

After about 3-4 minutes I hear the bird to my left fly down. The tom in from of me continues to do his thing on the limb. After about a minute he stretches his wings and flies down too hitting the ground about 45 yards away but out of sight. I finally get an chance to get my gun up and ready as both birds are out of sight. I can hear both birds strutting and walking around. The bird from the left shows up first and is given a lethal does of #5 shot at 32 yards. Time on my watch 6:50 am. The other bird sticks around putting and clucking. When I walk up to get my bird after picking up my stuff the other gobbler closes the distance(to about 20 yards). Must have thought I was the hen walking his way. He eventually sees me and leaves putting.

Not the biggest gobbler in the world but a nice two year old bird on the last morning of my season. Just wish one of the kids could have been there for a potential double.

Stats:

16.5 lbs
9.75" beard
1.0 & .875" spurs

Taking the kids to school this morning I saw 6 different gobblers in the fields. Not a hen in sight. Looks good for those hunting this next season.

Now I head off to SD tomorrow night. Catch you later.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Last day gobbler

Congrats Borch ,...BT
Old 05-03-2004, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on an excellent hunt!!
Old 05-03-2004, 05:29 PM

Way to go Borch!!!Good luck in S.D.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats[8D]
Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go Borch!! Nice set of spurs on that bird!!
Old 05-04-2004, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story Borch..congrats on a great ending to your season there in Minn!!Good luck in SD...
Old 05-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on getting one right there at the end. Five days just isn't enough.