Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Score for team 1

Old 04-25-2004, 02:34 PM
Spike

Default Score for team 1

SCORE for team 1,

Competition is tough on wildlife management areas. Had to go deep and far where few feet tread. Watched 7 birds all morning into the afternoon. All gobblers from 18-20+ lbs. One had a beard that was draggin the ground but they would not come to where I was. Not a hen in sight so they all must have been nesting. It was cool to watch these ole birds mess around with each other, I leaned alot about behavior.

Anyway, the land they were on was not managment area so I couldn't pursue. I called some of my best calls and they would answer and even act like they might come over but it was like they knew where the property line was. They were just waitin for that ole hen to come to them, I know.

Long story short, I had all but given up when the group disappeared on the other side of the pasture. I ease out of my blind onto the fire break still in full camo and look right seeing nothing, then left and at about 50 yds at the sw corner next to the swamp is a red head! Just standing there looking at me. I'm frozen and the bird is frozen. Ok, I figure if your not going to run here it comes. Hot lead out of my NewEngland 10 guage single shot put him down and the rest was history. The long walk back to the truck wasn't so long this time.

As it were, there was three other birds that took off after the shot. I guess this different group was coming in cause of the calling. Its never over till your back to your truck!!!!!!

Man I love turken huntin.

Ole Oceola was 17.5 lbs. 8.5 Beard and 1.25 spurs..

http://img55.photobucket.com/albums/...sonman/17A.jpg
http://img55.photobucket.com/albums/...sonman/19A.jpg
Old 04-25-2004, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Score for team 1

Congrats on the bird!!
Old 04-25-2004, 08:19 PM

Default RE: Score for team 1

Congrats on the bird teammate!

My season here in MN starts Thursday with my two kids. Hopefully I can nail one down.