Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Problem Turkey

Old 04-21-2004, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default Problem Turkey

I am preparing for the weekend hunt - last weekend I took a friend hunting on his farm - Trying to nab his first bird with me calling - The toms on this property have plenty of hens to work with in the morning - Our set up last weekend was in an open field with drops on each side. As the toms pitch for the morning they will gobble up the edge of the hill toward the open field at the top - never breaking the crest of the hill - It seems as if they meet the hens half way up just below our setup, turn and exit back from where they came from off roost! My plan of action this weekend is to invade as deep into their turf as possible, closing the gap - also I don't want to setup on top of the ridge - seems as if I would have better luck if I get on his level. One more problem, there is not much room to work with on the side of the two ridges. Any advice?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:16 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: Problem Turkey

BD- I'll take a stab at it.

Are you using a blind?

If so set it up early - make it blend to the surroundings and make sure that if they are higher than you they can see into it.

I use several blinds that I set up in ridges/bluffs that have been successful for me. One big key is to be where the birds want to go. Makes it just that much easier.
Con - once int eh blind you are committed and it is difficult to hunt and run
Pro - with the right chair and a cushion is it a very realxing waiting game.

JW
Old 04-21-2004, 08:31 PM

tell thgem you are the new boss and you'll kick his butt and take his women...

Use a full strut decoy or stuffed real thing, and potentially use some fighting purrs and gobble shakers. you may scare off the sub-dominants, but the Mac-daddy may very well pay you a visit, they are very very territorial.

I'd set up a strutting gobbler decoy behind 1-2 hens and see if you can get their attention. If they don't come in sight, try some excited cuts then a gobble. If still no takers, move and break out the fighting purrs.

A very accomplished turkey hunter (been on several outdoor shows calling) told me very recently that to kill a big dominant bird use challenges vs hen calls, strut decoys, etc...
Old 04-22-2004, 03:25 AM

Field turkey? Man save yourself a ulcer & find another bird![&:] He will become an obsession, a bird that will torment you in your sleep.
Old 04-22-2004, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

....Two words......GET CLOSE...HE IS DEAD.