Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How Many Decoys??

Old 04-21-2004, 03:43 PM

Default How Many Decoys??

What do you feel is the best number of decoys to set out. I've always use just 3 - 1 jake & 2 hens. Would more be better?? gg.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-21-2004, 06:27 PM

Default RE: How Many Decoys??

I hunt in Souther Wisconsin, and we have fields, and woods for the most part. What we usually use is likeyou said 1-3 decoys. What i have found is if you want them to get closer for bow, i would suggest using 1-2 hes for strutting to pull back on, do to the fact that when i am out hunting i never see a single hen during the moring. I like to use the single hen in the mid-late day cuz the toms have just lost their morning hens. But that is what i use in the spring. I have found only two ways to get them in the fall. One is the ambush, and the second is a bunch of decoys of any sex, just not teh "fired up" jake. thats because the turkeys in the fall are all grouped up for winter. good luck this year!
Old 04-21-2004, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Goodguy

What do you feel is the best number of decoys to set out. I've always use just 3 - 1 jake & 2 hens. Would more be better?? gg.
I have the Sceery® Flock of 3 hens & a standing jake. Soon I'll add their "Struttin Tom". I really like them as they are inflatable and compress into such a small, compact size when it's time to 'Run & Gun'. FWIW I always set the hens farther out and the jake closer to the blind. In my experience the Tom almost always passes the hens to get to the jake. When he's about 5 yards from the jake I intoduce him to Federal Grand Slam® copper plated #6's.
Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-21-2004, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

alloutdoors, I do the same thing here in Mo. and it really pisses the toms off bigtime. They will come in on a dead run and fight the Jake decoy to get him off his hen....lol
Old 04-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

I can and do use up to three at a time....2 hens and a jake...though I find myself opting for the single hen more often than not.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used 2 hens one jake in the past but this year I am going to try just one hen. I think less may be better.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:35 PM

My Son and I do alot of Cut and Run type of hunting. I carry a hen decoy my son carry's a jake with a shot beard
don't use them much. Don't need to
Old 04-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had times where the decoys made the difference and I have had times where they have spoiled the party. More often than not in open country they are an asset in my opinion.

I have had good luck with two hens and a jake or a hen and a jake. As has been mentioned most times they will approach the jake first. I even have a fanned tail that I put out with the dekes in open country. I can't honestly say if it has added any titillation to my ruse or not. There have been a number of toms shot while it was in the mix but who know if the fan had any influence in the outcome.

Quick Reply: How Many Decoys??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.