Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Carlson Turkey Chokes

Old 04-21-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Carlson Turkey Chokes

If you look in cabelas, there is the awe-inspiring hastings comp n choke (which is TOO expensive for me (17 and on a budget)) then below it there is a Carlson choke tube. It looks like an immitation of the comp n choke and it has the same ports etc. Has any one tried this Carlson choke? It is half the price, therefore it caught my eye. Thanks
Old 04-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Carlson Turkey Chokes

I bought one just this year. I put it on my Nova. I really liked the pattern it produced, my first season did not go well for my so I can't say I killed anything with it. I only patterned to about 40 yards, probably a little less than that. I used Winchester 3 in. 5 and 6's with
1 3/4 oz. shot. the 5's seem to pattern a little bit better. I think the tube will do fine for me, and I'm with you on the price side of things. It threw out a very nice pattern for me.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:31 PM

Homer,
Thank you for replying. Do you have any additional info about your patterns with that choke. Approximatly how many pellets within a 20" circle, and how many in the kill zone and so on? Id really appreciate it if you have them written down somewhere. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Basicly I patterned at 25 and 35 paces. The 35 pace mark were VERY generous paces.
That's why I said I was close to 40 yards at my farthest mark.
Anyway, at 25 good paces pellets in the kill zone were almost countless. I mean it really put a hurt on the target.
At the next mark close to 40 yards... but not quite, I was getting 9 to 12 kill pellets.
I used a H.S. target and only counted head or spine hits.
It did seem to spread out quite a bit from 25 paces, but I don't get caught up in long shots. I've never taken them and I don't plan to in the future. So in the range where I have shot, and will continue to shoot turkeys it works for me. Hope this helps.