Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey chokes?

Old 01-16-2008, 10:54 AM

Default turkey chokes?

I am going turkey hunting this spring and was wondering what choke is the best with turkeys? do i need to get a turkey choke?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:41 AM

Default RE: turkey chokes?

Yes you do need a turkey choke, a regular full choke wont get it done unless the turkey is 0-15 yards away. H.S. strut hasa good one called the undertaker for about 20$. Truglo also has some good ones for about the same price.You could get a really good 100$ one but the cheaper ones work fine for me. You also need to pattern your gun with different loads after you find a choke you want. You want the denset pattern at 40 yrds you can get.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really need to get a turkey choke to get the best performance out of your gun. There really isn't a "best" choke out there...it is all going to depend on what brand gun you shoot, 12 guage or 20 guage, and shotshell you use. I am assuming that you shoot a 12 guage mossberg (based on your signature line at the bottom of your post) so I would recommend talking with other mossberg shooters and see what their experiences are and what has worked best for them. When you do decide on a choke, get a couple of boxes of different brands and shot size and do some experimenting to see which shot does best. I would start out with a 3" shell of #6 shot. Patterning your gun can get very expensive, very quickly, so I would pick a choke out, and grab a couple of boxes and see what works for you. But definitely talk with other mossberg shooters and see what has been working for them (this forum is a great place for that and there are several mossberg shooters here)...
Old 01-16-2008, 02:03 PM
Fork Horn

I think a turkey choke is good but you dont always need one.My dad has a old 870 wingmaster 20 ga with the modified barrel and it will out shoot some turkey guns i have seen.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a turkey choke. In the long run you'll be glad you did. You will understand one day why you really need one.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:19 PM

so i just should get one turkey choke?
how will i know if the 3 inch shell and #6 shot is good?
if the #6 shot doesnt work wat should i get?
how do ipattern it?
Old 01-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

so i just should get one turkey choke?
how will i know if the 3 inch shell and #6 shot is good?
if the #6 shot doesnt work wat should i get?
how do ipattern it?
Well...how much are you wanting to invest in patterning your gun? If money isn't a problem (I wish I was in that situation), then buy three or four chokes and get a box of every brand of shell in each shot size and try them all out. For most people, they can't afford to do that when turkey loads cost $20 a box and turkey chokes costing $30 to $100 dollars a piece.

A #6 shot shotsell has enough energy to take down a turkey at typical ranges (50 yards or less) and has the added benefit of having more pellets in the shell. The more pellets the better chances of hitting the turkey in the vitals and dropping him in his tracks.

The way that you know if the 3" #6 shotshell is any good or not is go out and pattern it. Is there a nice even pattern without any holes in it. Lots of people use the 3" and 10" circle. Typically, if you can get around 150 pellets in the 10" circle without many holes, then you have a nice patterning gun.

You pattern the gun by shooting at paper 40 yards away and count holes in the paper.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

really any good shooting full choke will work
i prefer extra full just for that extra 15 yards
make sure to pattern your gun and make sure your choke shoots well out of it

Old 01-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Fork Horn

I use a Primos Jellyhead.It works for me and doesn't cost as much as the high end ones
Old 01-17-2008, 12:06 PM

yeah money is a problem with me.
any other good chokes?

Quick Reply: turkey chokes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.