Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Question - locator calls >

Question - locator calls

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Question - locator calls

Old 04-19-2004, 04:06 PM

Default Question - locator calls

Hey everyone. I just bought a crow call off ebay and i was wondering if anyone has had any luck using a crow call as a locator call for gobblers. if anyone has had any success with them would you please tell me when the best time to use them is at and any hints you have to get the best sounds possible (the directions only said to make a "caw" sound and i wanted to know if there are any better ways) also if there are any good combinations of like rhythms that work best. thanks,
Jack Izard

oh ya, also i was thinking about getting one of those quaker boy boss gobbler gobble calls (shake/pump) does anyone have or used one of these? are they effective? do they sould realistic? do you recommend getting one?
thanks again.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:28 PM

Default RE: Question - locator calls

I think alot of people have problems because they blow too much. I hear guys going up and down the mountain cawing like a murder of crows. I think you should hunt the crows. Give a couple of caws, caw-caw-caw, listen for the turkey and also listen for the crow. If no turkey answers then direct your calling to the crow, give him a fighting call maybe. He will hopefully head your way, and you can sit back and listen for the turkey as the crow comes a cawing.

I don't use my call alot, I prefer the turkey gobble on his own. But like everything else turkey, he likes to make things hard When I call I vibrate my throat similar to a purr on a mouth call as I blow CAW. Usally three short CAW's and that's it.

Hope I made some since [&:]
Old 04-19-2004, 10:06 PM

I use a Primos power crow call. I just blow into it and it sounds like a crow. If the turkeys are in a gobbling mood it works anytime, morning, afternoon and evening. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you use....there not going to gobble.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:15 PM

there was a guy in the woods this weekend with a peacock call. man is that thing loud. every time he blew it the toms would gobble, guess it works great as a locater call.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:26 PM

thanks for all the help...i will have to try these tips this coming weekend!
Old 04-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The crow is my favorite locator. I can get toms to gobble every morning with mine. I used to have that same gobbler call as you talked about above. My little brother destoyed it but I think it sounded pretty realistic. I never really tried it in the woods however to know if it would call anything in or not. Give it a try and let us know how you do.
Old 04-20-2004, 04:34 PM
Typical Buck

I've found the owl to be a great locater.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:21 PM

crow call...i use it from around 9-11 in the morning...works pretty good if they are preoccupied. I actaulyl just got the gobbler call...i believe myne was the twister gobbler....it has a twisting silencing cap on it. As far as realistic....well when i first took it out...i was like...damn i got ripped off. but that was in my house...it sounds a whole different wheny oua re in the woods. Also...try placing a finger over the end in a couple different ways to find the best sound. I wouldnt use it if a bird were close because i dont think it sounds that realistic...but as a locator...im sure it sounds fine from the distance the birds will be at. I actually was hunting two toms that were pissing me off this past weekend so i was like what the hell...ill give this thing a try.... After calling there birds for about 20 minutes with my slate, box, diaphram, push button...everything i had. i thought...maybe if i give an aggressive hen clucks then that gobbler call (the call sounds like it could be an immature jake since it sounds a little funny) anyways...i did the hen call and then shook the tube right after ward and sure enough i got two gobbles. So i am looking forward to using it a little mroe this weekend...hope that helps...
Old 04-22-2004, 03:44 PM

I use a Kight and Hale Red Hawk call alot, it works well here in New Hampshire after 10:00 am or so
Old 04-22-2004, 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Thickbeard

Sometimes it doesn't matter what you use....there not going to gobble.
How true!

Quick Reply: Question - locator calls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.