Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NY Turkey hunters?????

Old 04-17-2004, 06:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default NY Turkey hunters?????

I'll be up your way opening weekend. What's going on with the birds? We're coming in Wed night or Thursday AM to scout for a couple days. With the late winter you folks had and the hanging on snow, ..... what's going on with the Southern Tier birds right now?
Old 04-17-2004, 08:53 PM

Default RE: NY Turkey hunters?????

I went out this morning and tonight listening for birds on the roost and the toms were gobbling pretty good i located 4 different birds at as many locations. ill be out there next sat. helping some youngsters get their birds, im probably as excited as they are.my buddys been out checking during the past week and didnt hear much but we just started getting a little warmer weather around here and maybe that helped get the birds more active.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:30 PM
Dominant Buck

CAmoman.... what does NY have a youth hunt the week before?
Old 04-17-2004, 09:44 PM

yepper,they just started it this year ,ages 12-15 on the 24&25 of this month us older hunters are allowed to call for them but not carry a firearm but thats fine with me just wanna do my part to keep this great sport alive and also get some of the kids off the video games and in the woods where they can experience the rush that no video games ever gonna give them
Old 04-18-2004, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

i was down there and were i am there arnt as many birds (bad winter) but theones down there a huge
Old 04-18-2004, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

David, went to some public land yesterday 10,000 acres and didn't hear a gobble. Got there about 5:45 am and stayed to around noon. Plenty of sign though.I get home and my wife tells me about a tom that was all fanned out in the middle of the road when she took my daughter to the playground.

Thrusday night I watched 13 birds roost and the two Toms were very vocal and Friday night I also got birds to go with a locator call.

I think the weather was keeping them a bit tight lipped it. Finally started getting warm this week. The State land had snow in some places still last week.

I'm going out to another spot later today to. To do some scouting I'll let you know what I see or hear.

Birds are defianately henned up around here.

I'm taking my son out next weekend for the youtrh hunt I'm really psyched.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: nycamoman

get some of the kids off the video games and in the woods where they can experience the rush that no video games ever gonna give them
You got that right
Old 04-18-2004, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well tonights walk went very well. Got a bird to gobble with a locator call. Moved in and sat down. Heard a couple hens and quite a few gobbles. The birds were together. They flew up about 200 yards down from where I was sitting. Did a owl hoot after they were all in the treees and three different gobblers responded.
Old 04-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont have any clue about the birds. Im away at college, and when i am home im too busy to scout. And i wont even be able to hunt opening weekend, because i am going to be here. Hopefully the next weekend i can go home and hunt. I will definitely be home for the last two weekes, and will be hunting everyday possible
Old 04-19-2004, 06:35 AM

I've been scouting quite a bit in my hunting grounds in NW CT (which should pretty well mimic much of NY's southern tier). This past weekend was the first time I've seen single gobblers with groups of 4-6 hens this spring (prior outings saw larger numbers of hens with 2-4 strutters with them), so to me it looks as though things are progressing slowly and a little late compared to norm. Weather forcast's right now show it tending to stay a little cooler then I'd like, but we will have to wait and see how things pan out.

Quick Reply: NY Turkey hunters?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.