Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

NY Turkey hunters?????

Old 04-25-2004, 02:28 PM

Default RE: NY Turkey hunters?????

i heard a couple of gobbles this last weekend. went out for the youth hunt. what county will you be in davidmil?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Went up to the WMA on Friday to hunt Saturday. Woke up to clear sky's and winds that started gusting about 30 miles an hour. Didn't hear a gobble all day. We did some driving and only saw two other trucks on 11,000 acres.

Decided to break camp and hunt around home on Sunday.It was going to get into the mid-twenties Saturday night, no reason to freeze.

We put some birds to bed Saturday night .

Couldn't get a close as I wanted in the morning because of the property being posted. So we set up and listened. Has about 6 diffrent gobblers sounding off on their own by 5:45, in three different locations.I should have got up and moved closer in , but there were 4 of us and didn't want to get busted. Birds hit the ground and I had one coming BOOOM, someone on the posted property had got between us and the Tom[:@] 6:10 am.

We moved and set up some decoys on the edge of a green field and did some calling ,nothing not anywhere. Typical henned up toms.After about an hour and a half we moved about a mile listening,crow calling and doing some calling. Decided to set up off a power line I've had luck at before. 10:05 I hear a partial gobble,had to be a Jake. This bird could only get out a G...O .lol. He worked into about 60 yards and circled us. Couldn't get either of the boys a shot. Got another bird working at about 11:30 couldn't close the deal before noon.

Overall great weekend. My son got a little freaked out by the coyotes that decided to pay us a visit at two AM Saturday morning. He worked his butt off Saturday without hearing a gobble and never let it him bother him.

Sunday had it's highs and lows. Both the boys hearts were raceing when they heard all the gobbling and had a bird coming. They got a bit bumbed out when they heard a shot a hundred yards away at the bird I was working for them. The other hunters never made a call just set up between us. I guess some people used the weekend to teach a little different lesson.[:'(] Then again maybe he thought I was a hen and worked it that way. From what I was told no one should have been on that land however. We all got a good laugh at the jakes attempt to gobble. Best thing is the kids learned alot it was the others boy's first Turkey hunt. He handled his gun safely, and overall did a good job. Both of thenm need to learn how to sit still. Maybe I'll look into the Double bull blind afterall.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:25 AM

I'll be in the Catskills, Delaware County, the first week....what's the foilage gonna be like?? Temp? We'll be staying in Margaretville, hunting in some areas around there.......anyone wanna give me a tip, I'd appreciate it......oh, what about black flies....are they out the first week of the season??
Old 04-27-2004, 09:41 AM

I just checked the forcast for that area, possible rain sat,tues,thurs,fri of the first week. Temps in the 50's, so if that keeps true, I wouldn't think biting criters will be a problem. I don't think foliage will be any trouble the first week, buds are just starting to open a bit here in CT in the warmer areas, NY should be a bit slower
Old 04-28-2004, 07:58 PM

Any Catskill Turkey Hunters in here?? Looking for some advice on where to go and what not.....I'm staying in a town called Margaretville......Anyone gimme any hints at where to start?? I'll be up there next Wed-Sun....I'm going at this thing pretty much blind, other than topomaps....holler at ya'll later...