Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Ever get poison ivy while Turkey Hunting? >

Ever get poison ivy while Turkey Hunting?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ever get poison ivy while Turkey Hunting?

Old 04-14-2004, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ever get poison ivy while Turkey Hunting?

I got a little on my leg while doing some scouting last weekend. I had long pants and high water-proof boots on. I got it right behind my knee where my boots ended. The oils must have worked their way through the fabric of my pants. I have got it really bad in the past. If I even think i'm going to have it really bad after going turkey hunting, I'm going to get the shot. Do you guys have any ideas or tips besides trying to stay out of the nasty stuff?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ever get poison ivy while Turkey Hunting?

Portable ,
learning to recognize poison ivy will help you more than anything , but if you do get it then 1% hydrocortisone cream will relieve the itch and dry it up almost overnight .
Old 04-14-2004, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

PL, I'm highly allergic to poison ivy. Something that has worked for me is if I think I may have been exposed to poison ivy, I will wash my body with clorox and then take a regular shower to wash off the clorox. Someone told me of this several years ago and so far it has worked.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

..sure have,and oak also,all up the tree i sat againts but it was worth it...
sat right beside a big snake last year,now that was not worth it..LOL..
Old 04-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Get some stuff called Zanfel. It's high, about $35 for a tube but it does work and it's worth it! It's a wash/soap stuff. If you see it coming on or know you had contact but no symptoms yet, wash with it.
It stops the stuff dead in it's tracks if it's showing up and keeps it from ever showing up if you wash after contact but before symptoms show.
Heard about it on Paul Harvey and tried it. I'm a believer after a year of using it.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Ever Get Poison Ivy?

LOL! I am at the point where i just go ahead and get a steroid shot in the butt before every season because i KNOW it is coming. Froman and I can breathe the stuff and get it everywhere. You know it really isn't fair, because my brother can wipe his butt with it and not have any problems, and HE DOESN'T EVEN LIKE TO HUNT OR BE OUTDOORS IN THE WOODS!!![:@]
Old 04-14-2004, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like chiggers,lol, but if you say it is poison ivy , i believe you........the first year i hunted turkey, i made the prettiest blind you'd ever want to see, come daylight , i realized i had set up in the middle of the biggest patch of ivy i had seen at the time....i hope it drys up quick and stops itching....