Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hog poison indeed! >

Hog poison indeed!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hog poison indeed!

Old 01-15-2006, 08:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hog poison indeed!

Well that new load I worked up was certainly effective on this hog!
70gr. of Triple7 3F with a 385gr. Hogden Great Plains bullet dropped this hog like a rock. Granted it was a close shot, about 30yds. She was quartering away and I shot her through the heart. I dug around for awhile after cutting the tenderloins out. I had hoped to retrieve the bullet but gave up after a while. I think I'll have more chances later. God knows we have too many hogs. I am pretty pleased. I shot hogs at close ranges with Powerbelts and watched them run off. I'm sorry I didn't find this combo sooner!

Old 01-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog poison indeed!

Being very envious of you having the opportunity to hunt hogs like you do, I would like to congratulate you on your scoring a fine pig. I fully intend to do a hog hunt in the near future with a muzzleloader.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

txrookie

Congrats! Dam_ - there is something about Texas that is good besides football - Hog Hunting - I can only imagine.... Thanks for the pic - about the only thing here in Idaho that I can hunt right now is a paper target or clay pigeons - dag-nab-it.

Old 01-15-2006, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like a fine bit of pork there, congrats on the success.

BTW, what part of east Texas are you located in? What's the scoop on the hog season?

I will be down in SE Texas early next month to visit family, any chance I could get in on the fun?
Old 01-15-2006, 08:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

dmurphy317, there is no season on hogs. We hunt them year round. I live in Gun Barrel City. About an hour SE of Dallas. And yes you can get in on the fun. No hunting license is required for "depredating feral hogs", so we can get it done. PM me.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

WOW! To live in a place called "Gun Barrel City" - how cool is that?
Man - fresh pork tenderloin - make me drool on my computer

You mean an out-of-stater can come down there and hunt these guys anytime? What's the requirement for an out of state license? Or do you even need one for them?

I was in San Antonio last spring for a week - loved driving around the hill country. Maybe I should have brought along a gun?

Nice pig - and thanks for the update on that load you were working on. Sounds like one more vote against PowerBelts to me.

IM jaybe
Old 01-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

"I shot hogs at close ranges with Powerbelts and watched them run off. I'm sorry I didn't find this combo sooner!"

What weight Powerbelts, and what powder charge? were the Power Belts as heavy as the Great Plains bullet?

Nice hog!!
Old 01-16-2006, 09:40 AM

I always thought big conicals out of a muzzleloaderwould the ticket for hogs. We went after them one time with 6MM/.243's and were pretty amazed how tough these porkers were. Small bore high velocity is not the way to go when it comes to hogs, trust me on this one [8D]
Old 01-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I always thought it would be fun to shoot them with a .58 caliber roundball. 284 grains or roundball with 110 grains of powder under them I always GUESSED should put a world of hurt on the critters.

Many years ago, I helped butcher a pig on the farm. They wanted it blasted and I was more then glad to do it. I popped porky between the eyes with a .54 caliber roundball and that pig never knew what hit it. Of course I was only about 20 feet away from a calm standing pig that had no idea it was about to get a bad day.

It would be interesting to know the kind of internal damage that different kinds of bullets do on hogs. If I lived in a place where they were plentiful, I'd have a lot of test subjects....
Old 01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Cayugad, I just returned from a Texas hog hunt and I shot a 250 gr TC Shockwave Bonded bullet with 100 gr pyro pellets right between the eyes at 20 yards and that pig was not hurt it ran away with no blood trail. The guide estimated the hog to be around 230 based on the hoof marks. I hit it hard as we found tracks that staggered throught the woods. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1373726 I am heading back again and will not give up. I just a need better shot placement.

Quick Reply: Hog poison indeed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.