Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Beginner turkey hunter.  What call do I need... >

Beginner turkey hunter. What call do I need...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Beginner turkey hunter. What call do I need...

Old 04-12-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Beginner turkey hunter. What call do I need...

to get started? I can't decide to use a box, friction or diaphragm call. Or a combination of all three. What advantage does one have over another. I plan to hunt with a bow and the only advantage I can see is the mouth call leaves me hands free.

How about a locater call? A crow and an owl I thought would be good.

Without going through a lot of trial and error and spending a ton of money, which companies have you had the best experience with their calls.
There are so many to choose from. Primos, Quaker Boy, M.A.D., Penn's, H.S. Strut...

I have a ton of questions so you'll be hearing from me often. I have a lot of education ahead of me.
From what I've read so far I know I'll have the best professors.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2004, 11:11 PM

Default RE: Beginner turkey hunter. What call do I need...

A box cal is easyer for long distance, but harder to use when calling turkeys into range...Pot Peg, Is More Medium Distance, Mouth Call Is For Medium and getting the gobbler into range, there is exeptions to the calls.
A Locater Call..I Would Say A Crow Or Peacock.
A Good Box Call To Me For The Price Is Primos-Bux Cutter,And Lil Hartbreaker..
Pot Peg, Primos-The Freak (crystal) you can attach it to your hip and or gun. for less movment to get that big ol boy into range,
Mouth Calls, I Have Not Much Experiance But 1 I Like Is Primos-
Limb hanger.
Most Calls Try Out Before Ya Buy..Why Not Drive Employees Nut, ( then you know they work good) Good Luck This Season
Old 04-13-2004, 03:46 AM

Default RE: Beginner turkey hunter. What call do I need...

The type of call you like to use the best. If you like to use it then you will practice more, you do not have to be a turkey calling champion to kill turkeys but don't go out there sounding like a cat stuck in a drier either(why do I know what that sounds like?). The best confidence you can get is to have a Gobbler respond to your calls. I have a crow & owl that I like but have seen something the birds out here like better a Peacock/Woodpecker call if they don't answer one they most of the time will nail the other. Stronski turkey hunting is an addiction, we don't know it all but we've made a lot of mistakes to learn by. Don't be a sheep & follow what everyone says to do (by the book) experiment a little then when you find something that works or doesn't share your experience with us. If a gobbler wants to come in he's gonna do it anyway. If he don't want to come in you could have Eddie Salter, Will Primos and Alex Rutledge calling for you & he is not going to come in..............that would be one cool hunt though!!!! Just have fun when you're out in the woods learn from your mistakes b/c here in about a year or two you'll be able to laugh about it. You have to believe in yourself & your abilities, have a can do attitude & put some miles on your feet, pay your dues so to speek. Never get to the point where you think you know it all b/c there are plenty of turkeys out there that will show you up on any given day! Good luck & welcome to the sport.