Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 What would be the best and easiest call for a beginner to use? >

What would be the best and easiest call for a beginner to use?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What would be the best and easiest call for a beginner to use?

Old 02-17-2004, 09:11 PM

Default What would be the best and easiest call for a beginner to use?

I bought a mouth call last yr. its a quaker boy beginners double. i was wondering like what kind of box or friction call would be easiest to learn. i was also wondering if the box call for beginners are really easier to use than the other ones? any help would be great!!!!
Old 02-18-2004, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What would be the best and easiest call for a beginner to use?

The Easy Yelper (PushButton) or the One Sider by QB are both good starting calls...BT
Old 02-18-2004, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, almost any kind of box call is fairly easy to use but the push button calls and the one side calls are easier.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a look-see at a Lynch "Foolproof". Its a box that's easy to use and has a GREAT sound. Its my main 'go to' call. And I have LOTS of calls.
Old 02-18-2004, 01:15 PM

Definitely the push button box call for a beginner. The first year I ever went turkey hunting, I went armed with a Lohman call similar to this one although it wasn't called the Sassy Hen at that time.

The only calls I had on that first hunt were that box call and a mouth call that I didn't have much confidence in at the time. I used the old Lohman push button to take 2 mature gobblers my first year out. Those type of calls will call turkeys in the hands of beginners or experienced hunters. I know it gave me great confidence back then by helping me to be successful right away and that call is part of the reason why I'm so hooked on turkey hunting today!
Old 02-18-2004, 03:57 PM

Any box calls, or the push button calls, but if you choose a box call the lynch fool proof box works really well for beginners, cause the way it is designed.
Old 02-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe single reed mouth calls or friction calls like the above mentioned. Just go out and buy a few to see what you like.
Old 02-18-2004, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

For sure the push-pull type. I've hunted turkey for many year's now....use just about every call made, But sometime's....all I use is a push-pull. I'd recomend trying one first if your a bigginner...them maybe try other call's as you get more comfortable calling in some bird's. Good luck...and keep us posed on your hunt's...and which call you used. ....just my 2 cent's...is to first go out with an experienced hunteer, and pick up some usefull tip's from him/her
Old 02-19-2004, 11:37 PM
Typical Buck

I'll ditto the push-button calls. My 5 year old son can operate my push-button call well enough I think to call in a bird. I personally don't think a slate call is hard to master either. I think when you are just starting out, you should limit yourself to using 1 or 2 calls until you get really proficient. If you don't have confidence in your calls, you aren't going to sound like a hen. Whatever you decide to go with, put in the time to get good with it. I usually pull the calls out and start working on my skills at least a month before season. I started last month just because the bug has got me again.