Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Lesson #1

Old 04-04-2004, 02:49 PM

Default Lesson #1

Yesterday was Virginia's first youth day hunt....I took a co-workers son out and we had a pretty good day.....we went to a place that I had scouted previously, at daylight, we heard nothing....we walked up a ridge and set up on some flats and around 7am one gobbled at me.....I set up, the boy(14) and his dad sat out front....I seen the turkey a good bit before they did, because I was setting above them about 15-20 yards.....the gobbler worked really well once he got interested......the bird worked to the shooters right, and I watched him and the turkey both....he'd ease the run around, just like we rehearsed....we done really, UNTIL, the gobbler came out into h is shooting lane, and for some reason, he felt he needed to shift his weight.....Needless to say the bird left, QUICK. I couldn't help but laugh, mainly because we've all been there.....I kinda ribbed him a little, every now and then I'd look at my watch and would tell him we should be at the store weighing that bird and eating ham biscuits.....I told him also that he shouldn't worry about it, that that gobbler was too big to be his first one, and it was a big tom, nice beard, I didn't get a look at the spurs....All in all, we had a good time despite the cold, some rain, and alot of wind....and my hats off to VA and other states that have a youth day!!.....After I dropped the lad and his dad off at their truck, I asked him what he learned today, and he said "Not to Move"....I told him thats lesson 1
Old 04-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lesson #1

tell him my hubby spooked a bird yesterday by moving too quick, we've all been there..sounds like an awesome hunt.....ya'll will get him next hunt
Old 04-04-2004, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Let him know that it don't just happen to the young. If I'd have taken all the birds I've seen, ya'll be watching my hunting show. We're all still learning and it makes me realize just how "smart" I am when you compare the size of our brain with a turkey.lol
Old 04-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I thought that was a right of passage for EVERY new turkey hunter! A couple of weeks ago, I called one in for a friend of mine, who just started hunting turkeys with me this year, and he moved his head "just a little".....BUSTED!

I still twist that knife when I see him.

I won't tell you about all the ones I've spooked. I don't feel like typing that much!
Old 04-04-2004, 09:19 PM

Tell him not to worry about it. It happens to everyone that is what makes it enjoyable, he will get him next time.