Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

4/3(OH)

Old 04-03-2004, 09:48 PM

Default 4/3(OH)

got a call from my buddy who went down this morning to do a little scouting. He went to the same farm that he went to the other day where he heard only 1. Not today. On one side of the valley he heard 4 big boomers and on the other side he heard 3. He then proceeded down the road to a steep wooded ridge and creek bottoms we can hunt. Got out and blew a crow call and one hammered right in front of him way after fly down he said. He then again went down the road about 2 mile to a field we have access to that holds lots of birds. He watched 4 big boys in full strut display for some hens. He watched where they entered the field and everything. In that one area this morning he located 12 different gobblers and we still have 4 more areas to scout before season. Looking good, looking real good. I can feel a triple coming on opening day(me, dad, buddy).
Old 04-05-2004, 02:49 AM

Default RE: 4/3(OH)

Hey dbaker saw your message and just wanted to let you know that I am also in the southwest side of ohio and my dad and I have been hearing some serious gobbling for the last 2 weeks. We are right on the river and I can't wait for the season to open up. Good Luck on the 26th!
Old 04-05-2004, 06:19 AM
Spike

Hey Baker! I’m in Ohio, now I’m a little confused. Where exactly did you hear those birds??

Good Luck on the 26!
Old 04-05-2004, 08:31 AM

If I told you I would have to kill ya man Isn't SE Ohio good enough?
Old 04-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Spike

I forgot! How far from Nelsonville did you say it was???????
Old 04-05-2004, 02:11 PM

just hop, skip, and a jump Well, might add another hop or skip in there as well.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:20 PM

Saw 2 nice gobblers and hears several others on some OH public land this weekend I just need a horse or helicopter to hunt them.

I think I figured out why there is so much public land in OH. All the places that are too steep for houses/goats/horses/hunters ....people just said "screw it" and gave the land to the state. Is a few thousand acres of nice rolling walkable hills polluted with turkeys and no hunters too much to ask for????
Old 04-05-2004, 09:31 PM

chances are you aren't the only one who knows about them if it is on state land. Get there early and pray the youth hunt doesn't mess you up. Also pray nobody sets up in your mustache.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:48 PM

naaa ...I am not sweating it. I dont plan on being where normal sane humans would go. Gonna find those hard_to_get_to birds.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

NELSONVILLE, RIGHT BY ATHENS? BOY THAT IS A HUMP FOR ME. I hunt in brown county ohio on st rt 52 right across from the ohio river. On top of those hills it is a great place to spend any day. I went shed hunting with my 7 year old and he found a nice 8 pointer set of antlers and 2 boxx turtles he just had to take home,lol. We had 3 hens walk by us when we were having lunch on top of the ridge, but no toms and no gobbling at all. Im going youth season with my son and trying to get em going, didnt want to scout too much to get things stirred up, i know where there area's are and will be there on the 24th!