Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 How far can a 20 shoot with a full choke >

How far can a 20 shoot with a full choke

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How far can a 20 shoot with a full choke

Old 01-18-2004, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default How far can a 20 shoot with a full choke

How far can a 20 shoot with a full choke an 3 inch mags and number 4 shot
Old 01-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: How far can a 20 shoot with a full choke

I've never used my 20 gauge for turkeys but I would imagine that 20-25 would be a good distance to bring them in before making the shot and 30 would probably be the max. I'm going to get a turkey choke for my Remington as my girlfriend will be going on her first hunt this spring. Seems the closer they get the more excitement there is...
Old 01-18-2004, 08:59 PM

I wouldn't stand at 40yds and let someone shoot at me with a 20 gauge.
Old 01-19-2004, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 years ago , Guided a woman that was using a 20ga and had the same shells. We worked this Tom for about 3 hours and he was a tough bird. He would stay out in a field and strt and gobble, well with the knowledge and quick thinking ,we got setup on he's travel route and he move towards us. The bird moved right out in front of us and I guessed the shot for 35yds. her husband told me the gun would shoot out to 40yds. This is the chance being he was not coming any closer. A standing head high shot ,she aimed well and Bang! the bird went into the air and flew off. I paised the after shot and the bird was at the 40 yd mark. The leased to say I was not impressed with the Gun, after looking at the gun she had only a full choke in the gun. I would suggest if your shooting a 20ga find a Turkey choke before trying to pattern...BT
Old 01-19-2004, 08:18 AM

A 20 gauge is good within it's limits . My son uses a Remington . We had an extra full choke custom made . If you are going to use a 20 gauge I would suggest Remingtons new heavy loads . They are a little expensive but they are awesome .
Old 01-19-2004, 10:53 AM

The 20 gauge like any gun is limited by the pattern it shoots. It's impossible to say with your set up until yoou get to the pattern board. The #4 shot in the 20 gauge would be lethal beyond 40 yards. But will the pattern be sufficient to that distance with a standard full choke? I'd bet against it.

My daughter's 20 gauge is good out to 35+ yards with a hastings turkey choke and #6 shot in Fed 3". She's averaging 15 lethal(brain & Spine) hits at 35 yards. I've shot it out to 40 and have average 6 hits in the vitals. But I don't like 6 shot out of any gun at that range.

Good Luck!
Old 04-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buckmastr229

How far can a 20 shoot with a full choke an 3 inch mags and number 4 shot
I hunt with a Mossberg® Mdl 500 in 20GA. Because you have less shot (1¼oz) in a 3"Mag vs 12Ga 3"Mag (2oz) I limit my range to 30yds. That is self imposed. I use a Hastings® Super Full Extended Turkey Choke. IN MY GUN #5 & #6 pattern exceptionally well. No 4 shot patterned very poorly. Your gun may pattern #4's well; you must experiment & see. My load of choice is Federal Premium Grand Slam® 1&5/16oz Copper Plated #6.

My son uses a 20GA also (Winchester Pump). Remington 1¼oz #5 are what pattern the best for him.

Every gun is different.

Good luck in your search.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read an article in the Wisconsin State Journal (maybe you can find it online) yesterday (Sunday) that the CEO of the Wild Turkey Federation has been using a twenty gauge exclusively for the past 7 years in multiple states. He is confident it the 20 to make 40 yd. kills on Turkeys and has done so on several occasions.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:43 AM

I started hunting with an 1100 Lt 20. We have Briely chokes in it and with an xtra full it is only good out to 35 yards, and even that is almost too iffy to chance. It can usually put 4-5 in the vitals at 35. Albeit, its a 2 3/4" gun and this is with #6s.

It can do it, just not past 35.

Andy
Old 04-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Spike

I have a 20 that will shoot out to 35 yards with a Rhino choke and # 5 shot and do a good job. I’ve patterned it out to 40 and can get 3 to 4 in the kill zone but I wouldn’t count on it in the field the pattern is just too loose at that distance. I did try some Nitro shells I got at the NWTF convention this year and out of five shots I only got one that I felt acceptable at 40 yards and that’s at 4 bucks a shot! I’m giving up on making it a turkey gun I just don’t have the confidence in it or maybe my SBE has colored my expectations of what it can do. So if want to try a 20-gauge Rhino choke with your Remington I have one.

Quick Reply: How far can a 20 shoot with a full choke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.