Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

This really sucks

Old 03-26-2004, 09:37 AM

Default RE: This really sucks

I bought the Mossberg 935 (autoloader) with a synthetic stock and all (barrel, stock, forepiece and receiver) camo'd in Mossy Oak, plus a case, gun lock, extra-full turkey choke on the 22 " barrel and a sling at Cabela's for ($569??) + tax. (I think.) It is built to shoot only 3 or 3 1/2" shells, 2 3/4" shells are too light for it. For me, that was the best buy and now I have my turkey gun. I plan to buy a waterfowling barrel for it when they become available (late fall), too, so I'll spend more than your $600, in total to make it multi-purposed. Plus, I'll have to buy other choke tubes if I want to shoot different patterns, as the only choke I got was the turkey choke. So it may not be the best for you. Just depends on what you're really after. From what I see on this site, though, it seems to me the Mossberg 835 (pump) is many people's favorite turkey gun, and I think they are under $400. If you like pumps, I'd take a look at them.

I think the Cabelas store in Owatonna, Minnesota is having a big gun auction this Saturday, of new and used guns, (starting at 10:00 a.m.??)including some turkey guns. You should call them, maybe, and see what they have on the auction list, if you can't get the list elsewhere.

Good luck!!
Old 03-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any of the guns you mentioned will serve you well. Its the little things that will make you happy with your gun. When you go to Cabella's, hold each one... shoulder it... sight it... feel the trigger... find the safety. Where do the shells eject?... How simply does it load?... Unload?

Personally, I think the Winchester 1300 is one of the finest turkey guns out there, but I can't shoot one well. I've shot an Ithaca 37 for nearly 40 years. The safety on the Ithaca is behind the trigger and the safety on the 1300 is in front of the trigger. This messes me up, so I sold my 1300. The Ithaca beats it hands down on simplicity of loading and unloading and it ejects underneath instead of out the side. I like that because the ejected shell never distracts me in the dove field or on a covey-rise.

Choose wisely and then don't second guess yourself.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:58 PM

I agree with sonwdog. I own 4 mossberg 835s and two rem 870s it all depends on what feels good to you. your the one who has to shoot with it not us, so all we can do is give you are input on what guns we like, you have to make the final choice, so good luck with your gun shopping and let us know what you chose.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know what you have against Remington, but that would be my choice. I have an 870 Express combo that I have had for over 20 years, and it has never let me down.