Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 do you shoot steel or lead for turkeys >

do you shoot steel or lead for turkeys

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

do you shoot steel or lead for turkeys

Old 03-25-2004, 08:40 AM
Typical Buck

Default do you shoot steel or lead for turkeys

i bought a super full choke and it says on the package lead shot only, I have a remington 870 and was going to use #4 steel shot that i use for waterfowl, i guess i have to go buy some lead shot, what do you recommend
Old 03-25-2004, 10:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: do you shoot steel or lead for turkeys

I stick with copper-plated lead (Winchester Double-X Magnum 2¾" 1-5/8 oz. #4 shot). I'm pretty pleased with my old Wingmaster and the M.A.D. Max .665 choke I got for it.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

thanks for the response
Old 03-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

I use the Winchester shells too and have had really good results with them.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:56 AM

All depends on where you hunt in reference to whether it's legal or not. Because I believe(someone can clear this up if I'm wrong) that here in MN, if your hunting on WMA's(Wildlife Management areas) you have to use steel shot. I believe that's the rule. Atleast it is for pheasant hunting. I don't know why it would be any different for turkey hunting.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Typical Buck

what would happen if you shot steel through a lead shot only choke, could it really cause that much damage? i'm not trying it, i don't want things to get ugly, but is there really that much difference?
Old 03-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Haven't tried, but I'm guessing mucho damage. Lead will compress and distort when it's forced through the choke, hence it compacts the shot which increases (a) velocity, (b) density, and (c) momentum (or knock-down power).

If the shot can't compress---such as steel---and the choke is made of steel which is less dense than the shot...

Well, I'm a biologist and not a mechanical engineer, but I'm guessing you could mushroom the entire end of the barrel...
Old 03-25-2004, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

i'm not sure what it would do, but i think strut&Rut hit the nail on the head pretty close...
Old 03-25-2004, 12:50 PM

Why would you want to shoot steel. It is worthless since hevi-shot was introduced. Hevi-shot is harder than steel and denser than lead and patterns tight!!! which is great for turkeys.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:18 PM

I would caution AGAINST using steel. If you are hunting where non-toxic shot is required, I'd use HeviShot or bismuth or tungsten, but not steel. Steel doesn't have the mass (weight) per pellet and hence lacks (per pellet) penetration power. I'm not saying steel shot "bounces off" turkeys like bullets do off Superman, but I'd think using steel would increase the risk of a wounded, not dead, bird, especially at longer distances.

BUT, most "lead only" chokes DON'T WORK with the other non-toxics, (HeviShot, bismuth, tungsten) either. (BUT/AND shooting an improved cylinder or a modified choke will usually give you a tighter pattern with non-toxics, equivalent to a lead full, anyway.)

Quick Reply: do you shoot steel or lead for turkeys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.