Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Barometric pressure and turkeys >

Barometric pressure and turkeys

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Barometric pressure and turkeys

Old 03-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Barometric pressure and turkeys

I've read the articles and research on the effects of barometric pressure on game. The active range is supposed to be 29.8 to 30.29. Saturday the 20th, the barometer started at about 30.4 and went up. The turkeys didn't gobble. Mondy and Tuesday it started at 30.3 and rose slowly during the morning. The turkeys gobbled early, then shut up. All these days were clear.

My question to you is: Have you found a strong corrolation with barometric pressure and gobbling?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barometric pressure and turkeys

I've noticed this as well before. Another thing I have noticed is the change and the sound of your calls. Presure can change the tone of a call, everyone has been out and just one day the favorite call just don't sound the same as it did the last time you used it. You start to thinking its you and the way you seem to be running it. Wrong! its the presure change that changes the sound you get. At this time change you call to a higher pitch, or Lowwer and see the difference. I beleive the gobbling is the same, and the gobblers get the same effect ...BT
Old 03-24-2004, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Barometric pressure and turkeys

Hey BT,

Nice suggestion. I'll just also add that with any barometric change, animals in general will start reacting. Related to barometric change, relative humidity also changes, which is usually why most calls (I'm assuming BossTom was referring to friction type calls) change their tone.

The best hunting I have is 30-40 deg F, clear sky, high pressure with a slight Northerly breeze with low RH (~25%) immediately following the departure of a soggy warm low pressure system.

Not sure if it's the shift in barometer, relative humidity or clear skies, but boy the birds will gobble great after a low pressure passes...