Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Benelli Nova pattern question >

Benelli Nova pattern question

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Benelli Nova pattern question

Old 03-22-2004, 06:58 PM

Default Benelli Nova pattern question

I bought a new Nova last week and love the gun, however after patterning it today with Federals, Winchesters and Remington Hevi-Shot, #4,#5 and #6 out of both modified and full factory choke tubes at 20 and 25 yards it consistently had 90 % of the shot dead center but 4 to 6 inches to the right. Can anyone give me some advice on how to correct this? Also, would like some opinions on an aftermarket turkey choke for this gun. Thanks in advance for any help.. Antler Addict
Old 03-22-2004, 07:30 PM

Default RE: Benelli Nova pattern question

Not to say that this is your problem, but I had a similar problem with a mossberg 835 a couple of years ago. I tried different chokes and loads and got the same results. My shot pattern was about 7 to 8 inches to the right. At first I thought I was flinching and not getting a good steady pull on the trigger. I later found out, after taking the gun to a gunsmith, that my barrel was bent slightly to the right. I couldn't believe it, this was a new gun. In reality, it is not uncommon to see new guns with bent barrels straight from the factory. If all else fails, have a gunsmith check it out for you. Keep us posted.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:53 AM

I have the nova, and I tried using the chokes that it came with..patern was to far spread for turkey hunting, I got a Truglo Strut stopper....what a difference. I shoot the Winchester #5 3" and I am very happy with the results. try this choke with a few different kinds of loads and see what you get. let me know the outcome in case you use a load that I didn't try yet.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My buddy had the same problem with his BPS. Turned out the magazine tube wasn't straight. Of course the barrel follows the magazine tube. The smith straightened the tube. The gun shoots right on now. Point is, don't assume it's the barrel.