Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 There's  a bond between hunters, even across the ages... >

There's a bond between hunters, even across the ages...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

There's a bond between hunters, even across the ages...

Old 03-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Spike

Default There's a bond between hunters, even across the ages...

I was turkey hunting this morning and as I walked across one of my fields I looked down in the soil and saw a bit of flint that caught my eye... I picked it up and found a perfect arrow tip made by another hunter that had walked the same path hundreds--if not a thousand years ago. I couldn't help but wonder what he would think of our world today, or if he thought the arrowhead that he let fly at some variety of wild game would ever end up in someone's hand again, much less a hand so many years later. I held the arrowhead up and actually felt that I could see it attached to a carefully chosen stick that became an arrow shaft....I imaged what he had looked like, but somehow knew that even though he hunted in order to survive while I hunted for pleasure, as hunters both, with him I felt a bond that has endured across the ages....
We have a great hunting heritage. This morning just helped me appreciate even more where much of it came from....

Old 03-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: There's a bond between hunters, even across the ages...

Cool. I too feel a bond with hunters past when I'm in the woods. It's nice to see the evidence that they were there on occasion. I prefer the evidence like you found though and not having their ghost tell me where the good spots are.[]
Old 03-22-2004, 07:37 AM

Default RE: There's a bond between hunters, even across the ages...

I've often wondered how a particular arrowhead ended up where it is. Could it be where a camp was and the hunter lost it. Could it have been taken by the child of the hunter to play with. Could it have been a clean miss that sailed beyond the mark and ended buried in the ground or stuck in a tree. Or could it have been the one that hit it's mark and provided the hunter and his family with food. To hold it in your hand just as he did those many years ago makes your mind wonder as to the many hours that went into the preparing of the weapon. Do you think they sat around and discussed what type of arrowhead, shaft, bow, or string that would produce the most effective way to take a turkey. Seems like we as modern day hunters still have the same conversations. Just a thought.