Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Snakeboots survey

Old 03-19-2004, 06:25 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Snakeboots survey

I bought a pair this year. Gottem for $77.00 at wal mart. I was going to get them last year and wound up putting them back. Last bow season, I got convinced that they would be a good investment after crossing a creek and seeing about a 4ft cottonmouth laying about 4 feet from me. My new snake boots are the first that I've ever owned and I found them to be comfortable and worth the $$ if they'll keep a bite from sinking in.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:03 AM

I wear Red Head snake boots. I don't wear them as much for snakes (although we do have poisonous snakes and it doesn't hurt to have the protection) as I do for comfort. They are much more comfortable than regular boots and give you better ankle support. The only thing I don't like about my Red Heads is that they don't have good grip on ice which isn't a big deal around here because we don't have much of that.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:18 PM

I hunt in Georgia and South Carolina in a lot of swampy areas, and I have come to love my Rocky "Slasher" snake boots. They are light, comfortable, and quiet compared to chaps. My main dislikes about chaps is that they are heavy. hot, and noisy. You still have to wear boots, so why not wear one item that will do both. If I hunted in deep water where I might meet a swimming snake I would consider chaps more. However, I have nearly stepped on several copperheads over the years, so I definitely will wear some type of protection unless the outside temperature is around 40 or below. The Bass Pro snake boots do look like a good value, but I do not know anybody who has tried them yet.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:08 AM

I have been hit twice in two yrs one copperhead one water mocassin both would have gotten penetrating bites had it not been for my gators. i will be going with boots though because they aren't as bulky and hot. i know a lot of guys that use them and all of us agree on one thing. nothing will make your drawers turn brown any quicker than seeing a big set of fangs hitting you. better to pay a 100 bucks now for boots than 50,000 later for a med bill.
Old 03-21-2004, 09:57 AM

I have a pair of LaCrosse 17" snake boots. Got them so I could walk through water and found out that I needed snake boots also so I got them. I live in southern MS and wouldn't go into the woods without them. A $180 pair of snake boots saves a $500+ hospital visit. I don't like spending that much on boots but I need a pair that will last 10+ years.
Old 03-21-2004, 10:02 AM

Note to all: Each of the snakes metioned about are 1/2 that size.