Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

uphill or downhill???

Old 02-29-2004, 06:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: uphill or downhill???

Set up on top. They will go up easier.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

If at all possible, set up above him. The most important fact is to make sure you set up on the same hill as he is. Don't expect to call him down in the gully & then back up the hill you're sitting on.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've called in turkeys uphill, downhill, sidehill, and across canyons and fences and streams. However, I think setting up above them is your best bet. Obstructions can stop a gobbler too so it's best to set up where they have a clean path to you. You can call them across barriers but there is a chance that will make them hang up.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:36 PM

I have to agree with most of the guys here. Calling a bird in is easier if you are uphill or at least on the same level. That being said, I have called in birds coming downhill. In fact, the first gobbler I killed came down a steep hill about 300 yards to my set up. I know it's not supposed to happen, but then again, many things in turkey hunting are not supposed to happen.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've also read many many times that it's much easier to get a tom to come uphill then it is to get him to come downhill.

I don't know...might have something to do with better sight uphill, better hearing, for the animal...it might be a defensive thing when it comes to the turkeys part.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Spike

I've killed just as many turkeys setting up below them as I have setting up above them. If they are hot and ready to go I don't think it really matters........
Old 03-05-2004, 10:12 AM

The general rule is position yourself on the uphill side, but I also like to pay attention to the direction, especially if it is a cloudless, sunny day. Then I think the gobblers like to strut with the sun at their backs, so I also try to be north and west of the gobblers on the roost, as well as uphill from them.