Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 what is a good pattern size? >

what is a good pattern size?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

what is a good pattern size?

Old 02-19-2004, 03:20 AM

Default what is a good pattern size?

I am shooting a Browning gold 3 1/2" with a browning extra full turkey choke and Winchester supreme #5's. My question is what is considered a good pattern size? I have been using this gun for three years and have patterened it a couple of times to get it sighted in but I am thinking I should pay more attention to the size of my pattern this year. Also can I shoot Hevi-shot out of my stock turkey choke? Thanks
Old 02-19-2004, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is a good pattern size?

While size is a factor, pattern density is what you should be concerned about. A good turkey choke will concentrate the pellets in the center of the pattern. The pellets at the edge of the pattern may be a thinner density, but they wizzed past his head anyway. Most guys use a turkey head target rather than a pattern board to check their patterns for this reason. You could probably shoot hevi-shot through your x-full choke. The x-full factory choke for my BPS mic's at .670. But you may get better patterns from a tube which is designed to shoot hevi-shot.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

...PATTERN SIZE,GOOD QUESTION..MY MOSSBERG 835 THE PATTERN SIZE
IS BASKETBALL SIZE AT 40 YARDS,SOMETIMES TO TIGHT OF A PATTERN
BUT THAT WILL GIVE YOU A IDEA....
Old 02-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Spike

Look at it this way lurchman, you’re trying to hit a target the size of a tennis ball at 40 yards. I use a paper plate and look for the best pattern density in a ten-inch circle at whatever the maximum distance I am planning on shooting.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:03 AM
taw

Hey totoe, do you mind if I ask what choke and what ammo you are using? I just bought a kicks gobblin thunder for my 835, went out and shot it and I have to say that I am very dissappointed in the pattern I got, maybe 15 pellets in the head and neck at 40 yards using win. hv #5 shot. If you or anyone has any advice I would love to hear about it. THANKS ...TAW!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:09 AM
taw

One more thing I forgot to mention in my last statement was that I also tried hevi-shotand federal #5's, and didn't get any better pettern with either one of them.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:11 AM

Taw

A few things:
1. smaller shot size - #6's work great for me.
2. Different brands - Federals wouldn't perform from my gun. Remingtons did great.
3. I remember someone posting about polishing the inside of the barrel. Never done this and don't have any information on it. Maybe that could be asked on another thread?
Old 02-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lurch ..heres some good info that will help you out as well and give you some understanding dealling with your own individual firearms pattern.I would also recommend surfing around this particular site as its loaded with good info on everything you need to know about your barrel in relation to patterning your gun!!Hope it helps..
http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm....-patterns.html
Shotgun Shot Patterning
Determining choke:
We will start with identifying the barrel of a shotgun from the inside where everything takes place that affects patterns going from the breech to the muzzle.
(1) Chamber
(2) Forcing cone
(3) Bore
(4) Choke constriction
(5) Parallel or lead
(6) Muzzle

How choke is determined. Choke is determined for all shotguns by the amount of shot it delivers within a 30" circle at 40yds.
(1) Cylinder bore-40%
(2) Improved cylinder-50%
(3) Modified-60%
(4) Full-70%

This is only a partial chart of the one found in Gun Digest Book of Shotgun Gunsmithing By Ralph T. Walker. I highly recommend this book to all who want the maximum from their shotguns.
This chart gives you the pellet count for pattern test.

oz. of shot

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shot size 2
oz 1 7/8
oz. 1 5/8
oz. 1 1/2
oz. 1 3/8
oz. 1 1/4
oz. 1 1/8
oz. 1
oz. 7/8
oz. 3/4
oz. 1/2
oz.
#2 180 169 158 135 124 113 102 90 79 68 45
#4 270 253 221 202 195 169 152 135 118 101 67
#6 450 422 396 337 309 281 253 225 197 169 112
#8 820 769 667 615 564 513 462 410 359 308 205

Our area of concern will deal with patterning with different sized shot.

(1) Select the shot size and power range (high brass, low brass etc.) of the ammo that you will be using in the field.
(2) Now buy several different ammo brands of the same as above, power and shot size.
(3) Take a large piece of white paper 4'x4' and place it 40yds. down range.
(4) Fire 3 test patterns with each brand of ammo all on seperate pieces of paper.
(5) Find the most dense part of the pattern, using that as center, draw a 30" diameter circle around the pattern then draw 2 lines to quarter your circle.
(6) Count all the shot within all your circles, you should have 3 for each brand, then average them.
(7) Then using the above chart for determining what choke your shotgun actually is.
(8) Take the one that gave you the most pellets for your average and closely look at each quartered section looking for holes in the pattern.

If you do detect a consistent hole in the pattern, try cleaning the bore to remove the plastic fouling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-19-2004, 02:36 PM

Am I missing something here? Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong!! 15 pellets in the kill zone at 40 yards might not be the tightest pattern that you could ultimately achieve after spending money on several brands of ammo and other chokes---but with the #5's that you are using---that is plenty enough to put a gobbler down at that range and even a little beyond.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:36 PM
Typical Buck

.I AGREE WITH SOURO1,THAT SOUNDS GOOD TO ME...IM SHOOTING
FEDERAL 5 SHOT,...COMP-N-CHOKE...XXX FULL,...THANKS..

Quick Reply: what is a good pattern size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.