Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Excellent article on turkey hunting safety... >

Excellent article on turkey hunting safety...

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Excellent article on turkey hunting safety...

Old 02-15-2004, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Excellent article on turkey hunting safety...

Lot of new fellas in the turkey woods today learning to turkey hunt but just as importantly is to hunt safe while there doing it...Heres some great advice for us all...
Safety: Defensive turkey hunting tactics

A safe turkey hunter, like a safe driver, is defensive-minded
In turkey hunting, especially, with it's camouflage and clandestine stalking, it is imperative that you be on the defensive in the field.

Below are the National Wild Turkey Federation's tips for having a safe hunt that you should consider before heading out for your next hunt.

During the hunt defensive hunting tactics

Select a large stump, blowdown, tree trunk or rock that covers the width of your shoulders and is above your head.

Place your back against the stump or rock when calling; a hunter is more likely to spot another hunter when moving to the front or side than from behind.

Do not wear any white, red, black and blue on your hunting outfit; these are the colors of a wild turkey. This includes handkerchiefs, socks, underwear and even items like candy wrappers.

A turkey hunter's
code of ethics

Never let peer pressure or the excitement of the hunt cloud your judgment.
Learn and practice safe hunting techniques.
Hunt the wild turkey fairly and with respect.
Know the capabilities and limitations of your gun or bow and use it safely.
Positively identify your target as a legal bird and insist on a good shot.
Obey and support all wildlife laws and report any violations.
Respect the land and the landowner and always obtain permission before hunting.
Avoid knowingly interfering with another hunter and respect the rights of others to lawfully share the outdoors.
Value the hunting experience and appreciate the beauty of the wild turkey.

When calling, select a spot that is in open timber rather than thick brush; eliminating movement is more critical to success than hiding in heavy cover.

Be discreet and careful when imitating the sound of a gobbling turkey.

Always be alert. A good woodsman can always detect movement in the forest by watching other game or listening for the alarm cries of bluejays, crows, squirrels or woodpeckers.

Continue to be on alert. When songbirds, crows or your turkey shuts up, look out; there's a good chance another hunter is moving in on your bird.

When another hunter is in your presence, never move, wave or make turkey sounds to alert the other hunter. You need to remain still and call to them in a loud, clear voice to get his or her attention.

These tactics are safer than quick movements. Use common sense.

If you are calling over decoys and elect to move to a new location, check carefully to ensure that no one is stalking your decoys.

Check before leaving your setup; should you see someone in the area, the rule above applies.

Before the hunt safety tips

Safety is very important when you're in the woods, but you must always prepare yourself before the hunting season or before you go on your hunt.

Check with your doctor if you have any medical concerns.

Hunt within your physical limitations.

Let your hunting partners know if you have physical limitations.

Let someone know where you are hunting and when you expect to return.

Work to have a basic understanding of first aid.

Carry, and know how to use, a map and compass.
Old 02-15-2004, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Excellent article on turkey hunting safety...

thank you for the excellent post....
i know the big mistake i made when i first started hunting was yelping when i heard another hunter, that is what i was told people did, not correct at all....now i make it known that it is a person hiding in them bushes....safety should be first on everyones mind when hunting , remember to identify your target and beyond in the heat of the moment...and dont forget to bring water and drink it....my buddy always leaves the water in the truck then he gets to walking , and ends up too hot.....
Old 03-13-2004, 11:51 PM
Typical Buck

And this one too. Excellent
Old 03-14-2004, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy Bob, This is great info to pass along to the new Hunters for sure,

But you must be Borred Bud you need to get Here early ! I think your starting to snap with all this typing

Did you ever recieve the Package from The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters on the Seminar ?...BT
Old 03-14-2004, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another great post Bob,It's good advice for those new to the sport and also those not so new to the sport
Old 03-14-2004, 05:56 AM
VP

More Great info Bob,
Your getting pretty good at this stuff!

Thats some info we can all use, first timers or veterans-
Ive been turkey hunting since the mid 1980's and just to show no matter what your level of experience is there's always the other hunter you know nothing about, lurking in the woods-
People tend to get caught up in the excitement of the hunt and forget that they and everyone else in the woods is toten a gun-
I know here in Louisiana, it never fails. Sometime during the spring season I'll see an article in the news paper or on the news that a Turkey hunter has been accidentally shot by another turkey hunter- I personally have been shot at once and have a close friend the was shot and almost didnt make it.
Saftey should be everyones first priorty. This is not good for our sport and will eventually lead to tighter restrictions and laws for us all.

Great Post Bob
Old 03-14-2004, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian,been checking the mail everyday and nothing so far...Jalvj should be gettin my Penn nonres anyday now!
Old 03-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

BT, I actually have to defend Bob this time[8D] He had typed this one while you were in Harrisburg getting your picture taken on a moose with a saddle[8D]. I went thrut he posts last night and figured I would bring some of back up front. Pat
Old 03-14-2004, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks, Bobgobble2. This is all great information to reinforce the most important part of turkey hunting. You never know, we might have an accident-free gobbler season in the U.S. some day. We just need to do our part. Thanks again!