Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How do you attract turkeys to your land? >

How do you attract turkeys to your land?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How do you attract turkeys to your land?

Old 02-09-2002, 04:57 PM

Default How do you attract turkeys to your land?

My dad informed me that there are a few turkeys running around our house. I think it would be awsome to hunt them, but I know nothing about turkey hunting. Can you put out food plots or something to get them into one main area? I live on a farm, with a lot of alfalfa in the area, does that attract them?
~Cody
Old 02-09-2002, 05:40 PM

Default RE: How do you attract turkeys to your land?

Putting out any type of food plot takes quite a little effort. If the turkeys are there, they are there for a reason, so there is no need to put out a food plot. I hunt over a small alfalfa field, and it does just fine drawing in birds. The best thing to do is get yourself a couple of calls, friction calls will probably be best if you are just starting out. Then start practicing, some types of calls even come with a cassete tape to learn from. Then get yourself a decoy or two, one of them being a "jake" decoy. Check with the state conservation agency for alot more information on hunting turkeys, seasons, open counties, limits ect. Good Luck!
Old 02-09-2002, 11:16 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-10-2002, 12:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Plant a corn feild in the middle of them alfalfa feilds. I had an area do exactly had and it attracted them to the corn feild like a magnet.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 02-11-2002, 04:59 PM

I'll go more in depth to my story now. The turkeys have been spotted across the river from my house. I'm not really sure of the area over there, but I could always go and investigate. The ideal thing to happen would be me getting the turkeys over the river and to my house. What would make them do that? That alfalfa fields are on my side of the river, if that matters at all. The turkeys have only been spotted once on my side, but are spotted quite frequently on the other side. Should I just go and hunt on the other side of the river? How would I locate them? Is it just a spotting thing, or do they leave sign like deer do?
~Cody
Old 02-11-2002, 10:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]