Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

over glass or not?

Old 01-14-2004, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default over glass or not?

i just turned my first slate call....i have glass to put under it for a soundboard and can if i want too.....i did for my glass call i turned....but i never called with a good slate call....should i put in the sound board or not? what way do you think slate sounds the best?? i might be getting a digi cam soon to do ebay work for my uncle.....if and when i do ill take pics of my calls and my mount i made.....im proud of my wood work.....especially the lathe work being i was never taught.....my teacher gave me hint tricks and help where i needed it..but i like to do things alone and he knows that....i thumbed through a book and read the important things i need to know and turned 2 pots so far...both work...just cant decide wether to put in a sound board for the slate or not.....what do you guys think? i have it laying here and ready to go if i need one....thanx guys.....maybe next ill try a box call....i dont know though...my teachers a saftey nut and i understand why....and doesnt know if i can safely plan a board to 1/8th thick on our jointer or planer at school....he doesnt want the board to explode and my hand fall into the knives...and our planer isnt working good....id have to set every single knife and i did it once before....it took 4 days...but any advice on sound boards for a slate or not?? would a wooden sound board work better then my glass or does it matter or what? thanx
Old 01-15-2004, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: over glass or not?

A sounding board may give the Slate a little life. Slate placed in a pot cal have a died sound , or very low, with the Glass board the sound can change and add some volume to the call. I customed a couple of Triple Threats last year and took them apart and placed them in a Walnut pot , adding a Plastic sound board to the one and a pc of Beechnut to the other, there is a big difference in the sound of the two calls. Never less they tend to work...BT
Old 01-15-2004, 06:57 PM

Mauser, I made a glass call last spring and I used a glass sounding board in it. I would definitely put the glass underneath the slate if I were you. It will make the call sound much better!
Old 01-15-2004, 07:06 PM

mauser06,
Put in the glass soundboards. I just put together 2 slate over glass calls and 1 glass over glass call. I think they sound great. Good luck
Old 01-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

well its 1am and i just glued it in.....no sound board....wanted to see what it would sound like.....i cant call loud being everyones sleeping but i think i got the sound i was looking for....a sweet clear kinda quiet note....prefect for the way i like to call....sounding like a lost hen....or feeding clucks with a few calls sounding like a bunch of hens strooling around...i killed my bird with clucks and lost sounds last year...he thought he was getting a flock of hens...he ended up with a face full of copper plated 4s!!....ill see tomarow i can always pop it out with a push from something threw one of the holes i drilled.....but i think i like it....ill see tomarow.....thanx guys.....
Old 01-17-2004, 01:27 AM
VP

All of you fellas amaze me in making Calls, strikers and what not, It must feel pretty good to be able to make something like that and then use it and be succesfull with it- I have the utmost repect for that- It's got to be a Great feeling- I would love to do something like that but wouldnt even know where to begin- Shoot, I can barely get wood in the fireplace much less turning it into a call that would reproduce the sound made by a wild turkey.