Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Identifying turkey subspecies >

Identifying turkey subspecies

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Identifying turkey subspecies

Old 01-06-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Identifying turkey subspecies

Okay, so last spring I hunted in an area that holds Merriam's, Rio's and Easterns (and probably hybrids, too), and I got me one. My wife got one, too, and when we got our fans back from the taxidermist at Christmas, I could see that the coloration is significantly different between the two. I'd thought hers was a Rio and mine an Eastern when we took them, as I am familiar with Easterns and, to me, a Merriam's is always white tipped, but I'm wondering if there is a website anyone knows of that gives a detailed, comprehensive method of determining which of the subspecies a particular bird is, (with photos, etc.) so that I can express my opinion backed up with some authority? The NWTF website is not really sufficient. Does anyone know of a more detailed site?

(And as soon as my daughter figures out how to upload her digital camera pictures to her computer and e-mails me the picture she took of mine, I'll post it to the site--my turkey had five (5) beards, and I promised a pic post last spring.)
Old 01-06-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Identifying turkey subspecies

Snow, the tail feathers on a Rio. are shorter then the Eastern cousin. Rio's tail feather can run in the 11inch range as too a Eastern in the 12inch range. Color can very in any of the sub's. as the same in the Merriams. Rio's have a slight longer legs aswell then the Eastern and thinner looking body size. I'm not sure of a web site that has the detail...BT
Old 01-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Snow.
I think you may have hit on a good idea. One thing you'll have to consider is that it could lead to some confusion, or at least arguments.
Over here we know that we've got Rio Grandes, and most of our turks fit that bill. But, our NWTF state pres, Jon Sabati, has a photo album with pix of some individuals that look more like Easterns; yet all were harvested on the Big Island.
He may have found evidence that a small number of Merriams were also released, but that info may be not be confirmed.
Still, I agree with you that a reference photo collection of sub-species from all over would be good.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Snow,even if you can identify your gobblers as looking more like one specie than another it would still be impossible to say its a 100% rio,eastern,or merriam,if they've been inhabiting the same area over an extended period of time.A turkey is a turkey in their eyes.We've been dealing with this for years in the Sacramento valley of Calif and as a result have a healthy strain of rio/merriam crosses.I monitor and keep close watch of my birds on my leases and its consistent year in and year out that family groups vary in color some looking more merriam and there own siblings looking more rio.We do have isolated flocks of pure strain birds in other areas of the state out of the valley but when the two paths cross we end up with hybrids which is fine by me.They eat and hunt just as good as any other turkey I've hunted!You've probably already checked this out but here is a rough map of the staus of certain subpecies spread across the U.S.Look to the left of the page and it will give you a bio and pic of each specie too if you click on them.I personally feel the bird is even more widespread than the map shows but maybe it will help a little...Heres the link.. Post that pic of that 5 bearded gobbler when you get a chance it sounds like a dandy!!!
http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/wildturkey/species5.htm
Old 01-07-2004, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats good info Bob, I didn't do to bad with my description as I just looked and measured from the tails I have. To see them on the wall the Rio's and Merriams have a noticable length difference in the feathers ...BT
Old 01-07-2004, 01:05 PM

The problem we have here in Nebraska is everything was transplanted so we have easterns, Rio's, and Merriams. The place I hunt I've shot all merriams and my dad shot a hybrid merriam/eastern. I know there are easterns along the rivers here but I have never seen one yet.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have rios primarily but at one time they stocked with merriams , you can tell they are different ,but I'm not enough of a expert to tell which is which , they both eat the same . This photo is of two birds that you can see a difference .