Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Can you Turkey Hunt with a rifle? >

Can you Turkey Hunt with a rifle?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Can you Turkey Hunt with a rifle?

Old 01-02-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Can you Turkey Hunt with a rifle?

I have never done any Turkey Hunting and was wondering if you can use a Rifle? I just got a new Ruger .17 HMR for Christmas and was hoping to be able to turkey hunt with it.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Can you Turkey Hunt with a rifle?

Most states, if not all, forbid the use of rifles for turkey hunting. Shotguns and bows are the norm.

I'm not sure a .17 HMR would even get the job done properly. It would be very difficult to get a spinal cord/brain shot, and a chest shot would damage the meat and make a big mess of things.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:59 AM

Thas is what I was thinking but needed someone to confirm. Thanks for the info.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Np, but check your state's regulations just to be sure. Either way, I wouldn't recommend it for turkey, but to each his own.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

some states do.......mine does in alot of the state in the fall.....lot of guys take out 22lrs and take head shots........i could take a turkey out with my 22 easy......but thats not my style.....and i dont hunt where i can use it or i just might......not hard for someone who practices to hit a golfball at 5oyds.....i can headshoot squirrels all day....
Old 01-02-2004, 12:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

I want a hit the first time, and I don't trust a .22 against a turkey neck that is bobbing around during movement. Chances are the bird will take off as soon as it hears the report.
Old 01-02-2004, 01:43 PM

There's no chance of the Turkey moving it's head from hearing the report with a .17HMR. It flies at 2550 fps which is more than double the speed of sound. It's a really great round and very accurate. It's designed for small varmits and that's why I was hoping to be able to use it on Turkeys.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:18 PM

First of all we need to know what state you are in. Here in Tennessee we aren't even allowed to use #2's out of the shotgun. Much less shoot turkeys with a rifle. I know a dude that got in a whole lot of trouble for using a rifle on them. Like aught six said, you need to read the regulations for your area. And i also don't think that a 17HMR would do the trick because a head shot would be imperative. When I go to a different state to shoot turkeys, where it is legal, I like at least a .223 or 22-250. I prefer the .270 win over all other guns though.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:22 PM

in some states it is legal, but I would not use the 22 , oe thwe 17 for turkeys.we can use a rifle in Fla. although I don't. the calling and getting them in close is what turkey hunting is all about.
Rifles are for varmints and deer , not turkeys.JMHO..

each to his or her own,if that is what you want to try ,more power.just make sure to be very careful, there are a lot of hunters that shoot at the sound of a bird,make sure that is not the case.a rifle is a long range weapon,turkey hunting is a close range sport.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

There's no chance of the Turkey moving it's head from hearing the report with a .17HMR.
I meant if you miss. As fast as those gobblers are, the chances of making a follow up shot are pretty slim.

However, I just happened to get off work a little early and decided to go to Borders to use a gift card I had. I buy Turkey Hunting Tactics, released by Creative Publishing in their 'The Complete Hunter' series (never heard of it). There's a small section on turkey hunting with a rifle, and it reads, "The little .17 Remington has aquired a large following among rifle turkey hunters. The 25 grain bullet kills turkeys quickly and destroys little meat."

No mention of the .17 HMR, but apparently the .17 Rem was important enough for some mention. Interestingly, at the end of the section, a line reads, "Most serious turkey hunters consider rifles both unsporting and dangerous for turkey hunting."

Quick Reply: Can you Turkey Hunt with a rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.