Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Can you Turkey Hunt with a rifle? >

Can you Turkey Hunt with a rifle?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Can you Turkey Hunt with a rifle?

Old 01-03-2004, 04:28 AM

Default RE: Can you Turkey Hunt with a rifle?

Well up here in Ontario Canada it is ILLEGAL!!!!!!! Brampton Mike[8D]
Old 01-03-2004, 08:05 AM

The only ones using rifles in Missouri are the poachers. Here, the legal hunters can only use shotguns w/ shot no larger than #4 which is the way it should be IMO! Turkey hunting is all about calling them in close.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Incidentally, here in Virginia, the only weapons allowed are shotguns firing no larger than No. 2 fine shot, or bows.

I agree that getting them in close is half the fun. I can't wait to get out there and see how well I can call them in.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:02 PM

I just typed a reply and lost it. Anyway to sum it up, I would only hunt Turkey with a rifle after calling it in close as I feel that is the whole point of hunting Turkey. Furthermore, I feel a head shot to a Turkey at 30 yards is much more dificult than a shot gun at 30 yards. Also, I live in Virginia and from what I've been reading since yesterday is that it is legal to hunt Turkey with a rifle in the state. It depeneds on local regulations.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Virginia allows spring turkey hunting with a rifle. One of the few states in the US that does.
It is common for hunters in this area to sit in their condo deer stands and peg away at gobblers with their deer or varmint rifles, a practice that I find to be totally reprehensible.
After a turkey hunter was shot and killed by a rifle hunter last spring, there was a great cry among sportsmen to discontinue spring rifle hunting. This cry has apparently fallen upon deaf ears.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Where are you finding the turkey hunting rifle regulations? I can't locate anything about it on the DGIF site.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Aught Six

Where are you finding the turkey hunting rifle regulations? I can't locate anything about it on the DGIF site.

Legal Use of Firearms and Archery Equipment

Rifles may be used for taking wild animals and birds, except migratory game birds and waterfowl (see Game Species Definitions), and where prohibited by local ordinances (see Local Firearms Ordinances).
http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/....html#legaluse

There it is, not happy about it [:@] but it's legal in Va. We had one hunter shot with a rifle last year during the spring season on his PRIVATE property. Who ever the murder was, left him for dead. They still havn't solved that MURDER.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ah, I've skimmed over that before, but didn't quite put two and two together. I just remember reading the regulation regarding the ban on shot larger than No. 2 fine and figured that only shotguns were allowed.

I remember reading about that turkey hunter being shot to death in the newspaper. I saw it on America's Most Wanted a few months ago, too. I hope they nail the shooter.