Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Does anyone know where i can? >

Does anyone know where i can?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Does anyone know where i can?

Old 12-31-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Does anyone know where i can?

deos anyone still have theyre instructions to the LI'L DEUCE Double glass friction call im needing the sounds and stuff or does anyone kno where i can find them?

BTW im new to turkey hunting if ur wondering ive been playing with it just wondering the rest of the sounds
Old 12-31-2003, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Does anyone know where i can?

All Friction calls are all used the same way. The caller should never take the striker off the surface of the pot while He/She is doing a call.

Keeping in mind that the surface should be conditioned before trying to make a Call. By taking light grade sand paper, or scotchbrite rub (scratch) the surface in the same direction across the surface. Blow off dust. Aswell rub the end of the striker to clean it.

By Starting at the Outside edge you will get a Higher pitch Tone, working into the middle of the surface you will hear the Tone changing to a Lower Pitch. This is important in Advance calling later. By holding the striker at a 5 degree angle work all the calls towards yourself. Only applying enough presure to get volume with your movements.

Movements for the calls;

Yelp - Little circles or Oval (Dime Size). As you do the circle you will get a tone from the start to 1/2 and no noise coming back to the start of the circle. Doing the circles faster will give you the yelp.

Tree Yelps - The same as above only done quieter.

Cluck - Like striking a wood match (in a straight Line) The Cluck is one strike.

Cut - The same as the cluck only faster Rythem and a number of times then move the striker back(not taking it off the surface) to where you started and repeat. You should hear different pitches as you work the surface breaking up the rythem.

Cackle - A very fast series of Clucks and slowen down at the end of the cackle. Another easyer way to do this call is to lightly Tap across the surface (Like a woodpecker tapping a tree) This would be the only time/Call you take the striker off the calling surface.

Purr - By slowly drawing a straight line towards yourself and allowing the striker to grab the surface in the movement. You should hear a slite viberation in the sound as you draw the line towards yourself.

Kee-Kee / Kee-Kee-Run - Can be done by only using the outside edge of the calling surface. By making long fast lines you can get the whistle or Kee-Kee. Once you practice and get the Kee-Kee , you can drop your striker down towards the center of the surface to the lower pitch yelp for the Run.

After you have practiced these calls and learn to do them, you can start to learn to do the Gobble. By taking 2 different wood strikers and tapeing them togeather making a slite X about 1 inch wide on the working end. Then place them on the surface and Vigerously shake them back and forth on the surfaces in the same spot. I like that one.

Hope that helps ya,

Adrian J Hare , QuakerBoy Game Calls
Old 12-31-2003, 05:36 PM

Didn't know you could producea gobble by using a friction call thats awsome!.....hopefully one day i can produce one of them sounds. Awsome tips Adrian you have helped me alot in the past few years with learning all these cool tips
Old 12-31-2003, 07:54 PM

thanx man and on that angle holding did u mean 45 degree angle[:-]and onther thing is should the end of my tip be flat or what and can i just use bout a 140 grit or so finger nail file??
Old 01-01-2004, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

6pt125 ,
The striker should be worked on a 5 Degree, just off of straight up and down.

I would think a finger nail file would be ok for Glass Calls but Slate and Aluminum you don't want to make to big of friction groves as it will make it hard to work. The Conditioning is only taking dirt and finger oil from the surface.

Striker styles run differently , some tips are flat or just off flat. Some have a mushroom shape to them. This depends on the users preferance. The mushroom shape seem to be more common and easyer to purr with...BT
Old 01-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

6pt,welcome to the turkey forum!!!I believe your call is manufactured by H.S and although Adrian(professional turkey hunter of the 90's)gives you some great advice,you might think about going right to the source and purchasing there turkey calling friction video.Although its centered around there black widow call the striker is carbon and I'm thinking yours maybe too..check it out here...
http://www.hunterspec.com/Updateable...&categoryID=33
Old 01-01-2004, 01:39 PM

A mushroom tip what deos that look like does it look like this / \ or like this \ /
| | | |