Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Do you buy new Mouth Calls every year ? >

Do you buy new Mouth Calls every year ?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Do you buy new Mouth Calls every year ?

Old 12-21-2003, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do you buy new Mouth Calls every year ?

Mouth Calls , tend to break down over a hunting season. As moisture exsorbs in the laytex and more volume and presure is added to the call to make it work, latex tends to stretch or slip from the frame and the life/sound of the call starts to slip.

How many hunters go out and replace there favorite calls before the start of the season ? and do you buy more then one of your favorite call ?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I always have new Calls at the start of a season , and carry extras that are not used. When hunting I like to have a few of the same call, so I can clip them on my vest and dry them as I hunt. I alway change my mouth call as soon as I hear the changed difference in the sound of the calls I make...BT
Old 12-21-2003, 06:11 AM

Default RE: Do you buy new Mouth Calls every year ?

Yes---new mouth calls every year. They are not that expensive and to me it is not worth the extra time and effort to preserve them for the next season. So far I have only bought one of my favorites each year. You have given me something to think about.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

BT,I buy new every spring & fall buddy!!!You hit it on the head.I have found no fool proof absolute way of stopping completely the wear and tear on these fragile calls.Even on a days hunt over a lengthy period of time in your mouth they tend to change tone,so consequently I carry alot more than one of my favorite calls to the woods.Before season rings in I will have at least 8 or so diaghragms broke in ready to go,and will be breaking in calls through the major part of the season.I agree with strut there relatively cheap compared to most of the calls on the retail market and besides that you never really no when exactly that call will break down and if its in the woods it can be a frusterating situation..(I have had a few of those moments where I stomped,thrown,bit,twisted,and crushed a few calls in the past because of it[:@]).I dont preserve here I replace!!!Its a good system that works for me!!
Old 12-21-2003, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

Yes I too start with new calls each season and several of the same kind. If i have new ones left over i keep them in the fridge until the next season. They seem to be just as good as the new ones i purchase. I know lots of the stores carry over their stock until another year also.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:40 AM

i keep my mouth calls in the fridge from spring to spring in a ziplock bag.i have had some primos calls i got from jimmy primos in 1990 that i use each spring.when one starts getting loose or torn,i throw it away and go to the fridge and get another one.i usually don't carry over two mouth calls with me hunting due to heat sticking them together and tearing the latex.they will last for years if they are not stretched or stuck together and kept from heat.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep I always have a few new calls on me every year.I also carry more than one of each call.I've had birds that liked cuttin so hard I've blown the reeds right outta the frame.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

I add to the collection each year but don't necessarily replace. Of course I haven't been at this long enough to wear out too many.
This year I will be buying extra favorites and trying out a couple of new mouth calls too.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:13 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-21-2003, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

I buy new ones every year. Buy 2 or 3 of my favorites at a time. I've tried to save some from year to year, but with out much luck. Just doesn't seem worth the hassel to me.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:21 PM

I buy a couple new mouth calls every year and like Brokenbucket, I use the "working" calls left from last year as practice calls. I too keep my calls in the fridge.

Quick Reply: Do you buy new Mouth Calls every year ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.