Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Never too early

Old 01-07-2022, 03:59 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default Never too early

I've started planning my spring 2022 hunts. I don this yr the year of the xbow. That is all i care to hunt with. Me and my guillotine arrow!

I have Season 1 Wisconsin. I will get seasons 3,4,5 and 6. Too.
And i applied for my Michigan permit
Scouting this late fall showed me many new cornfields rhat will be spring feeding magnets.

Never too early to scout.

JW
Old 01-07-2022, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

I put in my request for PTO today for the first ten days of May. Last year .... Due to the schools being shut down....I had to stay home and teach the kids.

This year I'm hoping to be able to spend some time chasing turkeys.

-Jake
Old 01-08-2022, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Heading out soon for a turkey hunt. Any tips for hunting them this time of year. Calling mainly
Old 01-08-2022, 05:26 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Sure and I'm not trying to be a jerk.
Be where they want to be.

I'd setup on feeding areas. Be there before they get there. Edges of cut cornfields is a good place. If you are in a dairy state I sit edges of cattle feedlots as the birds will feed in the spilled silage.

Right now we have huge winter flocks. So its tough but it can be done.

JW
Old 01-08-2022, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rlpsystems
Heading out soon for a turkey hunt. Any tips for hunting them this time of year. Calling mainly
Are you hunting public or private? Can you set up game cams? absent that, do you have time to just park your truck at a good location and see where the turkeys go on a piece of property? Have you considered asking the game wardens where they see turkeys this time of year? Or locals, farmers, etc.? You'd be surprised at how much turkeys keep to a routine unless they get
scared away from it.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the idea of planning a year ahead also. It keeps you more focused and makes sure you don't miss an opportunity or 2.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Are you hunting public or private? Can you set up game cams? absent that, do you have time to just park your truck at a good location and see where the turkeys go on a piece of property? Have you considered asking the game wardens where they see turkeys this time of year? Or locals, farmers, etc.? You'd be surprised at how much turkeys keep to a routine unless they get
scared away from it.
Hunting private. Have several game cams out. Main reason why I’m hunting them now. I’ve set up near the area they scratch and travel. No luck yesterday, but of course as I was leaving I jumped two off their roost. And that was around 4 pm.
Old 01-09-2022, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

I hunt private also. Only went a couple of times this fall and didn't get one. Tried a steep uphill stalk (more like and end run around) on 5-6 toms but they walked up the other side of that hill faster than I did and disappeared into the brush. Still fun though, especially after I caught my breath again.

Since you're hunting private land, you have the opportunity to pattern them more in the fall for an ambush hunt (ground blind, camo'd out by a tree, etc. I had 2 good locations where the toms went at least every other day so just needed to put the time into it. Unfortunately, things got hectic at work and home so I didn't get the time in. The concept is very workable though.
Old 01-10-2022, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

Start early I don't think I ever quit lol
Fall hunting has been missed for the past three years with this pandemic as I can't cross over to Michigan. I miss the fall (well missed the past 2 spring seasons too) hunts they are always fun ! Good luck on your hunts.
Old 01-11-2022, 05:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
Start early I don't think I ever quit lol
Fall hunting has been missed for the past three years with this pandemic as I can't cross over to Michigan. I miss the fall (well missed the past 2 spring seasons too) hunts they are always fun ! Good luck on your hunts.
i still hunt Mich
Where are you located?

JW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.