Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gobbler Down!

Old 03-22-2020, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Gobbler Down!

Went out this weekend for opening day here in Northeast Florida. Me and a buddy went out yesterday morning and they were fired up. We were skunked on our first set up, but the 2nd was very exciting. We saw 3 gobblers and 2 hens. Could never get the Toms separated, but the action was awesome. Today I got lucky and was skunked in the early morning, fog was real bad and cleared up around 10am. I went to a different area just playing around not expecting anything and hit the call. Couldn't even get a 3 Yelp and the gobbling started. This turkey was maybe 50 yards away. I hunted for about 30 mintues calling and navigating the timber as it was thick. I finally found a decent spot for an opening about 100 yards away from the original gobble. I called while walking and he came right along the entire way. This was an awesome hunt! He actually followed me and my calling, looking for the lady. I sat down and waited a few and made a Yelp again. He wasn't far at all less than 20 yards and I finally saw him. I had to wait until he cleared and it was a nice easy 10 yard shot! I'm not sure if I can put thanks on for the Hecs hunting system or not, but being that close was insane and not being in a blind, just sitting on ground back to tree. Weatherby PA 459Shotgun, Carlson Choke tube, and Winchester XR did the job. Call was a woodhaven yellow color mouth call lol. Not sure which exact one.
Attached Thumbnails Gobbler Down!-screenshot_20200322-193919_photos.jpg  

Last edited by JGFLHunter; 03-22-2020 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the tom and a good few days of hunting !
Old 03-23-2020, 05:20 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Awesome hunt good for you!

JW
Old 03-23-2020, 02:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations on your successful hunt. Yeah when it comes to those turkeys you have to keep after them. They almost always move to an area you least expect..
Old 03-23-2020, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Way to go.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:15 PM
Spike

Nice One ! Congrats !