HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Gobbler Down!
Thread: Gobbler Down!
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2020, 03:32 PM
JGFLHunter
Typical Buck

Default Gobbler Down!

Went out this weekend for opening day here in Northeast Florida. Me and a buddy went out yesterday morning and they were fired up. We were skunked on our first set up, but the 2nd was very exciting. We saw 3 gobblers and 2 hens. Could never get the Toms separated, but the action was awesome. Today I got lucky and was skunked in the early morning, fog was real bad and cleared up around 10am. I went to a different area just playing around not expecting anything and hit the call. Couldn't even get a 3 Yelp and the gobbling started. This turkey was maybe 50 yards away. I hunted for about 30 mintues calling and navigating the timber as it was thick. I finally found a decent spot for an opening about 100 yards away from the original gobble. I called while walking and he came right along the entire way. This was an awesome hunt! He actually followed me and my calling, looking for the lady. I sat down and waited a few and made a Yelp again. He wasn't far at all less than 20 yards and I finally saw him. I had to wait until he cleared and it was a nice easy 10 yard shot! I'm not sure if I can put thanks on for the Hecs hunting system or not, but being that close was insane and not being in a blind, just sitting on ground back to tree. Weatherby PA 459Shotgun, Carlson Choke tube, and Winchester XR did the job. Call was a woodhaven yellow color mouth call lol. Not sure which exact one.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JGFLHunter; 03-22-2020 at 03:39 PM.