Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
First time turkey hunter >

First time turkey hunter

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First time turkey hunter

Old 11-19-2019, 03:13 PM
Spike

Default First time turkey hunter

Hi I’ve been into deer hunting for years , last year really wanted to turkey hunt bad but didn’t get out for spring gobler and now it’s fall and last 2 days are the 28th and 29th , I have 15 acres and have trail cameras that send the pictures to my phone , over past month 4 times I have seen a flock of 12 turkey in one spot I have a stand at , the only thing that scares me about going out , is how do I know they will come through on the 28th and 29th online everyone says I need to find where they roost , how the hell do I do that ? Go outside befor sunrise and use a owl call ? Any help is appreciated as you can tell I’m a beginner in the turkey department , but I’ve talked to turkey hunters and they say it’s amazing and I wanna see what the hype is and might be start of a new future
Old 11-19-2019, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

If you want to experience the amazing aspects (in my opinion) of turkey hunting you will have to wait till spring. I have killed a couple turkeys in the fall and for me just did not come close to the enjoyment of hunting spring gobblers. But to try and answer some of your question fall hunting boils down to persistence and or luck. Get in the woods and try to find the roosting area or try to locate and bust up the flock and use the kiki run call to call them to you. Fall hunting is certainly a challenge and way funner than setting on the couch. Hope this helps
Old 11-20-2019, 01:41 PM
JW
Super Moderator

What state are you in. I teach a Learn to Turkey hunt program for the state of WI.
Free tag to anybody who has never Turkey hunted.
JW
Old 11-21-2019, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Go out in the late afternoon before the opener, and listen for a flock or bachelor group scratching the dry autumn leaves for food --- It'll sound really loud for a turkey flock. Indicate their speed and direction, and that may give you a line to there roost.

At sunset...listen for a turkey's soft tree cackles and wing beats, as they fly up to the tree roost one at a time.

Sometimes a tom will gobble only one or two times before fly-down in the fall --- then he'll shut up; unless he needs to quell any unwarranted riff-raff calling by a young flock, with him sounding-off with a single stern gobble. I doubt that an owl hoot will bring a shock gobble response from a gobbler in the fall --- but you never know.

Depend on kee kee run calling in the fall. I use a single or double reed mouth call. If you hear or see the flock...really go to town with the kee kee run of a lost turkey --- And you might bring-in the boss hen with the flock, or bring in a young hen or jake that wants to help-out a lost turkey. If you can't bust the flock...try to get ahead of them and intercept them later on. Don't use the kee kee run before fly down.

I'm not sure when the toms or jakes join bachelor groups in the fall or winter.

Look for food sources for the turkeys in the fall. If they can't find a food source they'll fly-off and go to where their is one.

A tom harvest in the fall is a real achievement.

Good luck...

Last edited by Erno86; 11-21-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 11-22-2019, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

A tom or jake will usually come in silent for that kind of fall or winter scenario.

Some hunters will tell ya that spring hunting for gobblers is too easy; and they prefer hunting for toms during the fall or winter, because of the challenge. A bachelor group will usually consist of a tom and two jakes, because the tom has 2 other pair of eyes for him.

Tracking turkeys in snow cover is very enlightening for a hunter.

Last edited by Erno86; 11-22-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 11-22-2019, 12:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 11-22-2019, 01:18 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Spend some time reading the number of how to hunt posts on this forum.

JW
Old 11-23-2019, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys love cow pies...because they search for dung beetles that are hidden underneath it.

A turkey scratch can be quickly hidden in the fall by the falling autumn leaves.

If a hen turkey scolds your calling...reply back to her with the same call she just made.

Last edited by Erno86; 11-23-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: added a word