Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Oklahoma Season review

Old 05-07-2019, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default Oklahoma Season review

While this season wasn't near what it should have been lets do a run down,

3600 miles driven
10 full days hunting
70 miles walked
helped 3 hunters get their first Rio
1 of them it was their first bird, Also I didn't personally know any of them. They asked for help on facebook and I was happy to.
Saw my first timber rattler
Passed 1 jake
had iffy shots at 2 toms but elected to use better judgment and not take a chance on wounding a bird
Took a nap in the alfalfa and when waking sat up and dang near crapped myself when several quail flushed from around my legs ha
1 good clean shot on a decent bird. Waiting for the smoker!!

Over all this has been the toughest I have seen it for a turkey season and the most work I have ever put into it. While I am disappointed that I didn't end up with at least 1 more bird down, I am very please I was able to help a few others with their season and consider this a success. I will have 4 more days of turkey hunting in the Black Hills starting Sunday. Hopefully I can pull off a 1st bird for my wife and get lucky with a harvest for myself as well. Then back to dreaming about next year.

Last edited by kellyguinn; 05-07-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:28 AM
Typical Buck

Hey 4 birds ain't that bad !
I took my bud with me to Nebraska and he killed 3 birds in a heartbeat and It took me all I could do to fill my one tag lol
Old 05-07-2019, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

I guess the biggest disappointment is that calling the birds in wasn't successful. The birds we got were all about learning the pattern and just getting in the way or just getting lucky and being in their path. For me I love turkey hunting for the interaction with the birds and that just didn't happen this year. In the 10 days hunting I may have only heard 2 gobbles after fly down and I hunt hard from daylight till dark. Overall it seemed like the population was down as much as 75% in some areas. We have had some flooding in areas that are nesting areas the last few springs and I think that has taken its toll.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

Could be that your numbers are down or just coiuld be the stage of the breeding cycle. I had the same trouble toms not answering or coming to the call just too many hens that they were with . I did the same thing figured out their pattern and ambushed em lol
At home right now I'm having the same trouble and it was the same last year I figure in another week or so they will have less hens and might want to come in to the call more.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

Nice job Kelly. I believe it should feel rewarding to help those hunters out and an experience they will never forget. Hopefully they pass it on to someone else.
I have been hearing different reports in SD: the hunting public where there a week or so back and cleaned house. ( check them out on youtube) Others are saying the numbers are down.
We just got back from Kansas and the #s appear to be down there and the birds are not answering or working to the call. Like you said, we where pretty much deer hunting them.
Good luck in SD and be safe.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck to all of you and keep it safe and enjoyable. That’s pretty darn good in my opinion getting them on birds and then getting one yourself. Congratulations on the successful hunts. I am still at it and had two toms come into the back field. They gobbled pretty decent early and stayed back from me and my blind. The big one went and gave the other big one a thumping and then went off with 4 hens. The other big Tom following them but keeping his distance. I ordered out two more hens and then yesterday I ordered a factory second of a DSD motion jake. I am hoping that the motion it makes will draw that big wise tom in for a shot. I am just hoping it will get here before our season ends. It should be I am thinking but I am not sure about it..
Old 05-08-2019, 06:13 AM
Banned

Great thanks for sharing with us.