Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
I messed it up this morning.. >

I messed it up this morning..

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

I messed it up this morning..

Old 05-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I messed it up this morning..

I went out back to my blind and set up my decoys. Just after I got back in my blind and set down 3 nice birds were already in amongst the decoys. They were all around 15 yards and I over shot them. I thought I was going to have doubles with the first shot at them. But I went and blew it. It was during a light rain when they showed up. No gobbles until after I had missed them. I practiced shooting from inside my blind after they had left. I was shooting around a foot high. So I tried to sight it in for closer shooting but couldn’t bring it down no more than 6 inches. So if they come back I will be better prepared anyway. Do you think that any of them will come into the decoys again? I did rearrange my decoys and moved them out at a little different angle so it will not look the same..I am hoping that I can lure one in. What do you all think? I can’t use a shotgun there because of house being to close to discharge a firearm..
Old 05-03-2019, 02:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well they are still around.. They avoided my decoys and walked right up the road. They gobbled a few times but nothing like they have been doing. There was the three toms and five hens. So I am thinking that they will continue to hang around..
Old 05-03-2019, 02:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Try it again without the decoys. I had one that gave me the slip last year 2 days in a row until I figured it wouldn't cross near a decoy. They learn pretty quickly when a decoy is involved.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks CI.. I will give it a try and see what happens. If that doesn’t work I will remove the strutter and get another hen decoy and use just the jake with them. They were interested in them but never came in. With so many hens with them they wasn’t going to leave those alone..
Old 05-03-2019, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

Its tough right now with so many hens to breed I have one tom that comes in then struts out of range wanting the hen to come to him when she (me) doesn't he moves on. But in a week or so he won't be so choosey ! Same thing with the strutter he woild rather move on than come and pick a fight too many hens right now rather be a lover than a fighter I guess

As far as shooting and missing last year on the last week I called in and missed the same tom 3 days in a row see if you can top that lol.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some 'educated' gobblers will run away after seeing turkey decoys. And some ol' gobblers will not come in to a hen, jake decoy setup, because they might be afraid of getting beaten-up by a young jake/jakes.
A crow or heron decoy might put the tom in an easier frame of mind.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Keep at it Phil. I always like to change my set up around, usually not even hunt from the same spot. You may not be able to do that where you are.
If you can get a pattern on the birds: where they roost and which direction they are going, I would go with just a hen decoy and set up between there roost and where they head.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am trying to work and hunt when I can. I am on vacation this week and trying to put new shingles on my roof in between the rain drops. If I can get a little time I will head up to camp. I normally will get a bird from there. Two years ago I got a bird after shooting a coyote two days before. So I am hopeful of getting one..