Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Looking for the new box call >

Looking for the new box call

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Looking for the new box call

Old 01-24-2018, 01:44 PM
Spike

Default Looking for the new box call

So, its been a bit less then a year since my first turkey hunt. This year I drew my first option in IL public land, pretty pumped about it. I learned so much this last year, not going to repeat any of those rookie mistakes. I wasn't confident at all with any of my calls last year except for my owl hooter and my box call. However, I want to look for a quality box call, just looking for any recommendations. My last box call was a chepo can't even remember the brand. Thanks.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

When you say quality - are you looking for something that's $50 or $500? I've found that the $10 box calls bring birds in as well as $200 calls - it's more about the weather, the bird, the part of the season, yada yada.

Considering you just started turkey hunting - and it's only January - instead of getting a different box call I suggest that you take the opportunity to start using other types of calls. Practice with slate, glass and mouth calls now, and by the time the season starts you should be proficient and comfortable enough to have an arsenal of calls.

Having more calls doesn't necessarily make you a better hunter, but it definitely is a lot more fun and interesting, and options are always nice. I've switched calls during the middle of a hunt, more than once, and turned that call-shy bird a 100 yards away into a target standing 20 yards away in literally minutes - changing calls can be that effective. Mastering a mouth call is one of the best strategic moves you can make, especially if you don't use a blind...
Old 01-25-2018, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Listen to Strut&Rut's advice. It and similar versions have been posted & reposted a lot, as new hunters embrace "the fever".

My feelings on any call is if the turkeys like it, I love it.

Just for fun, try this. Most guys move the lid over the box to get a yelp. Flip the call over so you move the box over lid. Sometimes little changes like that make a huge difference to the turkeys.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

David Halloran Calls. Check out Midwest Turkey Supply for some good calls. I don't use anything but custom calls anymore just because. The sound is better but more than anything I like using something that I know was hand made.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Lynch's World Champion Caller

My first turkey call was the Lynch World Champion. Bought it 30 years ago and still use it today. Replaced a lot of rubber bands but that's it.

I'd be foolish to say it's the best, but I can say it's easy to use and it works.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for the new box call-3615426_orig.jpg  
Old 03-15-2018, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

If your wanting something a little unique look up Homely Hen Calls. He has a waterproof slate trough type call that instead of slate uses granite along with an aluminum striker. Great looking calls that sound great as well. He also has a box call that is awesome. His calls are very cheap for the quality and each is custom/hand made.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:19 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hard to beat HS Strutt double sided championship box call.
I've beat the crap outa several.

I've have several custom calls. Some are great. A few are mantle ornaments.

JW