HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Looking for the new box call
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 06:08 AM
Strut&Rut
Nontypical Buck

When you say quality - are you looking for something that's $50 or $500? I've found that the $10 box calls bring birds in as well as $200 calls - it's more about the weather, the bird, the part of the season, yada yada.

Considering you just started turkey hunting - and it's only January - instead of getting a different box call I suggest that you take the opportunity to start using other types of calls. Practice with slate, glass and mouth calls now, and by the time the season starts you should be proficient and comfortable enough to have an arsenal of calls.

Having more calls doesn't necessarily make you a better hunter, but it definitely is a lot more fun and interesting, and options are always nice. I've switched calls during the middle of a hunt, more than once, and turned that call-shy bird a 100 yards away into a target standing 20 yards away in literally minutes - changing calls can be that effective. Mastering a mouth call is one of the best strategic moves you can make, especially if you don't use a blind...