Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Preserving the beard and spurs from an archery bird >

Preserving the beard and spurs from an archery bird

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Preserving the beard and spurs from an archery bird

Old 05-10-2017, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator

Default Preserving the beard and spurs from an archery bird

I have been using the brass from the shell that killed the bird for years to preserve and display the beard and spurs from the turkeys I have taken. This year, however, I have taken my first and second birds with a bow.

What would be a good way to save and display the beard and spurs of a Tom taken with a bow? Looking for ideas here lol
Old 05-10-2017, 05:45 AM
Spike

Just hang an arrow horizontal on the wall and dangle the beards from the arrow as you kill your birds. Make it a personal goal to fill the arrow with beards from fletching to insert..... and don't cheat by using a shorter crossbow arrow lol..
Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by WVDanimal
Just hang an arrow horizontal on the wall and dangle the beards from the arrow as you kill your birds. Make it a personal goal to fill the arrow with beards from fletching to insert..... and don't cheat by using a shorter crossbow arrow lol..

That's kinda what I was thinking about. I might preserve the fan from the first one and save the arrow and hang em. The struggle I'm having is how to preserve the beards. Thinking instead of using a brass shell maybe wrap with some red thread to take the place of the brass. Or use some tubing or something and fill with epoxy. lol decisions decisions

This is what I have been doing with the shotgun birds
Attached Thumbnails Preserving the beard and spurs from an archery bird-beard.jpg